Thursday, July 3, 2014

La Lucha!

2 de Julio 2014. And the lucha has begun! This morning I arose at 7am after working until 1:30am last night. It was the day to start raising money for our project. Last night we had a meeting, just the committee and I, to discuss the chisme spreading about the group and to clear the air. It went really well. And after the day I had yesterday, I may or may not have shed some tears sharing a bit of my story.
People have been talking. Because the entire committee is made up of community members from el Cruce, those from here adentro de Mariano believe that they are fighting to put the center out there, and not in the more central location here. And they know people have been approaching me about this. So they cleared the air. For about an hour before they allowed me to talk. It was a bit overwhelming. But I've seen their passion and continue to witness it. I told them that for almost 8 months in KM59 I was searching, praying, and searching some more to find people like them. And after 8 months of no such luck, my boss made the decision to pull me out. But she made the right decision. As hard as it was, there was no one like these four here in my new home. No one. This was the moment when the tears fell. They told me they loved me and if my boss ever tried to pull me out of Mariano, they would hold a strike so big, my boss wouldn't be able to enter the community. It's funny.  KM59 said the same thing. I wanted to believe them. But then they remained in their homes doing laundry or cleaning the day that Ann came to take me away. But this time? I can honestly tell you that I believe them. And it feels incredible.
Anyways, afterwards we planned for today. So I went home and made two cartulinas:


Our group name, "Collection of Funds" and what it was for; our Biblioteca Tecnológica. So at 8am, I arrived in the Cruce and with a rope and red shirt tied to it, we made a Parada. The rope was crossed over the main road and anytime a moto or car or truck approached, we raised the rope to signal them to stop. We showed the posters, explained our cause, and asked for their support; anything they could give, even if it was a single peso. And for 5 hours in the blazing sun we worked. And in the end? Raised $2,405RD. Pretty damn awesome if you ask me. It's not much but it's a start. And yet again, this was not my idea and I didn't do much to run it. Even more beautiful asi.
And just para que sepan, this is the main location we're looking into doing it: 


It's got two main, bigger rooms:


 a bathroom:


Two smaller side rooms (I'm thinking an office and then tearing down the one wall of the other to make the library half a little bigger):


A kitchen area, water storage hole, and two entrances. It needs work as I'm sure you can tell. And while we would have to have two people managing it at all times since it's separated, I LOVE the idea of having a separate library space and internet center space. I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't see what these pictures portray when I visit there. I already see the walls painted (lots of different drawings included-maybe a map of the DR, flag, a tree made out of handprints of my munchkins, etc), the bathroom beautifully made up, the shelves filled with books (we've already started that movement from all the help from YOU back home!), the chairs and couches (I know, dreaming big) to comfortably sit and read, the computers buzzing with power, and the outside made up with the name and other drawings to make it look appealing. Maria (our doctor) went to the capital this week and brought our letter to solicite the location. Here's to winning them over and hoping that by showing the owners the pictures and it's horrible condition, they'll gladly give it up for a better cause.
And now? With one burnt shoulder and un sueño fuerte, I'm resting. The damn sun in this country really is brutal sometimes ;) 
Abrazos y besos! 




No comments:

Post a Comment