Monday, February 10, 2014

Let Them Get Busy!

10 de enero 2014. Today I awoke at 6:15 and headed for my walk with my ladies. I really wish I could wake up happy and excited to do it but that seems impossible no matter how early I go to bed. Lol but I ran a little ways at the end to have more time to get ready and ended up being late anyways. Oops!
At the school I was FINALLY able to do more evaluations! Mostly fourth graders but they were incredible. Not one couldn't read. And many read with fluency, something that is a rarity here... I decided to switch things up at the end since they could read and give them the choice to read the "Palabras Estrellas" as their final test or read a book I had. To my disappointment, many chose the flash card words over a book... I just don't think they have experience with them so much...(*librarypossibilityinthefuture??*). We are still on strike apparently so away we went around 10:30am. I did talk with the director and he's happy about me helping the first graders in small groups and still really wants me to help with English classes in the older grades. 
I may or may not have then slept before and after eating lunch and arrived late yet again for the afternoon tanda. Oops (X2). But I knew I was just going to be making more crafty things for Ilda since she booked it to buy more materials. So I spent the afternoon doing hearts, cupids, and posters for San Valentín. An exciting thing did happen, however. A lady came who works in the district with the beginnings of a literacy competition coming up in April. Starting now, all kids in 5-8 grade have to practice reading a book. In about a month, someone from the district will come through and pick the best readers to form teams from each school. Then in April there is some sort of conference where the teams will compete against each other somehow in the form of reading. She took my number and the director put me in charge of helping out the kids! He also then spoke of a teacher conference in the beginning of March that is focused on literacy, classroom management, and didactic materials. Which is all that our Escojo Enseñar Conference is but at the end of March. Haha So many many mixed feelings going on now.
Afterwards the women who will be making up our women's softball team practiced. And I was one of them! I did alright but could've done better. And I do have to say, our gloves are pretty bad.. Lol
Relaxing, dinner eating, tea drinking, and porch sitting followed until I was ready to bathe and head to bed. Which is now! But that wasn't until after I sat with Pipe in my house and watched two giant spiders trying to get busy on my wall and kicked a cat out of my house that somehow snuck in under my door lol (DON'T TELL MY MOM ANY OF THIS GUYS-she's supposed to come visit me in May). We decided to leave the spiders be because after all, they are "man's best friend" killin the Mosquitos and all. So hell, why not let them get busy in my house?!? ;)
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment