Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Escojo Enseñaring It Up



The last weekend of August was our Conference. I unfortunately wasn't able to have anyone from here go with me, but it was alright. There were teachers from Restauracion, Rio Limpio, Los Cerezos, Las Rosas, and Santiago. I teamed up for two charlas-Literacy and the importance of a "culture of reading" in the classroom, and the making and use of didactic materials. They both went so well but the second was my favorite. After the lecture part, we split the teachers into groups and sent them to stations where they had didactic materials laid out, a grade selected, and a lesson topic. They had to fill out a lesson plan and create a interactive, main activity using the materials. They were incredible in their creativity. When they presented, we lost track of time because I didn't want to stop them from sharing. It was sheer beauty and I had to be careful to hold back my tears of pride.


^^The wall we created with their ideas and some materials The girl at the top made of toilet paper rolls, hair of yarn, and eyes of bottle caps? Her name is Julie <3

The last day we wrote one thing we were going to take home with us that we got out of the conference on apples and taped them on a big tree. Most were technical things. Mine? "A passion to push forward to reach each teacher and child for our tomorrow." And when I shared and explained I said that even though I'm not Dominican, this is where my heart lies and this is why the tomorrow belongs to us.

I didn't take too many pictures due a craziness that was organizing and making sure things were running smoothly but on the Facebook page there are a ton. Check them out :)



No comments:

Post a Comment