Thursday, December 18, 2014

Who wants a Sack of Rice?

The day I got back (8 de diciembre) was a long one. I arose an hour early, forgetting my clock was an hour behind because of the lack of daylight savings in the DR. Unable to fall asleep, I simply arose at 5:30 and through difficult goodbyes, I headed out with my daddy, coffee in hand and a suitcase beautifully stuffed by my mother. The drive was long and the tears threatened to descend the entire way but my dad and his loving support kept me together. I said goodbye outside the airport and rushed in since I was cutting my time quite short. After getting my ticket, checking my 49lb bag (1lb more and I would've had to pay! GO MOM), and making it through security, I sat at my gate with only ten minutes before my boarding time. Phew!
I arrived in Santo Domingo at noon, made it through customs, and rushed to find a taxi. I had to ask if there was still a bus to Loma because again, cutting it short. He said the last one left at 2:30. Perfect. But upon arriving at the bus station at 1:10, the last one was leaving at 1:30, and the ticket man first said there were no more seats available. But upon checking again, there was one! Phew again! Six hours later, I made it to Loma in the dark. Yoelbi was late picking me up but when he arrived, I couldn't have been happier. And Eudy tagged along to haul my suitcase. I hopped on with Yoelbi and we were off. HOLY FREEZING. I literally felt my bones shaking. But about 30 minutes in, Eudy hitting a pothole and my suitcase going flying, I made it to my house. And to a bonfire right outside and a bunch of kids chanting my name. God they just know the way to my heart. I unpacked little and passed out after visiting a few favorites (oops, can I say that?).
The next day I slept in until 11. Oh yea :) I was arranging my house and unpacking a bit when Dominga called me from next door. She told me that across the Play, two girls were fighting. I booked it. After breaking through the crowd chanting and laughing, I grabbed the one girl (almost my height and much "stronger" than me) as she was ripping the other girls hair out and getting bashed in the head. My arms alone weren't strong enough to break them apart. So, I pulled my weight back and used my entire body to separate them, falling flat on my back on the rocks with the girl falling on top of me. Fight over. And commence full body shakes from the adrenaline. Some teachers were there watching but too afraid to get involved. Thank goodness Dominga called me... I was fuming, yelled at a guy my age who was just watching with a smile and returned home.
The rest of the day was just organizing, handing out presents (who knew the dollar store could be such a hit!), and finishing up plans for class the next day.
Back to class I went at 8am and boy did I miss it! Casilda and I then went around to sell tickets for our raffle on Sunday. And Sunday was a SUCCESS. A sack of rice (125lbs worth) was such a good idea. We spent more on the prize but raised more money than any other raffle we had done. And there were many more people in attendance. 



Other updates? Still no answer for location. We got through to the secretary of the presidency who is going to speak with the man who promised to help us and then dropped off the face of the earth. And another Christmas raffle is in the making :)



No comments:

Post a Comment