Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Jamás Olvides

October 8, 2013

Backtrack to the weekend.

Friday-Lula and Greg came to visit. I then was supposed to have my first adult English class. It didn't happen due to some serious rain. But despite being excited about having my first class, with my emotional and mental state at that point, I was okay with it. Then walking Lula and Greg out to the Duarte, I see Ramona (which was a surprise because it was fairly late and she doesn't live in my community). And I spent the next two hours talking to her.

Saturday- After enjoying some chocolate milk the night before, I was looking forward to "sleeping in" a bit since it was the weekend. Diego decided otherwise, however, and woke me up at 530am. Lol I tried many things to calm him but then Linda's music started blaring at 7:30am. Rise and shine! Laundry for four hours. Planning. Cooking lunch. Going to Villa for a few groceries including dog food, but it looked shady so I didn't buy it. Then I visited the family of Lula and Greg's director. And was invited to a party next Sunday. Phew.

Sunday- Diego allowed me to sleep a bit more so I arose at 8am. I cleaned the house a bit. Tons of kids were here. English class for my eighth graders actually happened and I video taped their performances. It was so cute. Tons of kids returned again afterwards. I did more planning. Ran at 5:30 with a bunch of munchkins and Diego. Came back. Still tons of kids. Excersises with them-SO funny. Just imagine about 15 kicks putting their feet up on my walls all lver my house beside me and doing crunches. Then holding each others feet to do sit ups. Etc. I tried to kick them out to shower but they were suddenly working so hard and so calmly and TOGETHER on puzzles in my Sala de Arte. I couldn't do it. So I gave them a big speech about how we have confianza and how if they steal things, they won't have anything to play with anymore. And I left to shower. When I came out, they were still working beautifully! I cooked and FaceTimed with my dad and jake and my kids which was INSANITY. But jake with the Pikachu voice was a hit! I finally got them out and FaceTimed with Sam and Momma too. Exhausted, I went to bed. Sorry for how choppy this all is.

Monday. The meeting with Ramona, Natividad, and the community. Just... Yea. I can't say anything here for various reasons. But I found out why half of the community didn't come. They're completely divided. And I'm left wondering who I can trust and how I can help with this reality. And why these issues are issues when the problems with this school are way bigger and being ignored...

Tuesday. No director so we sent the first graders home. I spent most of the time talking with Brayan who is a four grader that fights multiple times daily and that's not an exaggeration. I just sat on the floor beside him while he was being punished in the office and we talked. His mom and dad are in Villa but separated. His dad left him here because he thinks this school is better. But he left him with a family he barely knew (luckily they're good people) and now rarely sees his own son. And his mother never sees him... On my way to El Batey I saw the pastor. He knew I had looked for him yesterday to bring him to the meeting to bring some peace but he wasn't home. He asked me how it went. I couldn't hold the tears back. He said that he wants to sit down with me sometime soon and explain to me what happened to this community. I trust him. We'll see what he says...
I've finished planning now for El Batey tomorrow. I didn't let any kiddos in my house tonight and I didn't go running. I think that was for the best. 

I'll put this quote here for all to see (going to leave it up to you to translate though ;) ) because I found it in the school's office and I love it. I'm struggling to feel better through reading it but I'm rereading and rereading it to drill it into my head and heart. Hopefully this will all resolve and we can move forward together as a team; all with the same dreams and goals for the near future of these munchkins.

"Que tu vida es más grande que tus miedos, que tus fuerzas son mayores que tus dudas. Que aunque tu mente esté confiada, tu corazón sabrá la respuesta con el tiempo, lo que hoy es difícil, mañana será un tesoro, pelea por lo que realmente te llena el alma y la virtud de saber esperar porque lo que tiene que ser, será." Jamás Olvides
 (I copied this word for word which is funny because the "author" literally means "Never Forget" in Spanish)

Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment