Friday, June 27, 2014

Community Walk and Location Dispute

26 de junio. Yesterday was beautiful. I've started running with Maria, the doctor, in the mornings and then with an App she's got on her phone, we do exercises on certain muscle groups. So four laps later and abdominal work, we parted ways. I cold-water bathed and read my Bible, the daily devotional, and the daily missal (thanks, Charles!) in the peace of my closed house. When all this was done, it was still only 8:30am! Haha I was exhausted still, yes, but that seems to be my norm. I spent the rest of the morning hanging out and walking around with my girl, Naomi. Side note: Found my camera!! Must have slipped it into a pocket of my suitcase below the one I normally put it in. I didn't know that pocket existed haha. But goodness did that make me feel better. I just didn't want to accept the fact that someone in my community stole it or that I was dumb enough to leave it in the capital hotel room.
After lunch I spent time with one of my Doña's daughters that was visiting. At 1:30 the rain clouds were rolling in and the thunder was threatening our afternoon plans. I went and sat with Dominga and Naomi and waited, convinced my Committee wouldn't come from the Cruce with the sky looking like it was.
And at 2:06, I was proven completely wrong. Their heads rose up over the hill of the dirt road and they were ready, interview and pen in hand. I was so proud (and feeling slightly guilty for doubting them). So the five of us, Casilda, Kelvin, Kilvio, Marizol, and I began our trek. We went to every single house here adentro and then out in the Cruce. We had simple questions for everyone as to just bring about awareness of the project and see how the community felt. Do you feel it would be of great importance to have a Biblioteca Tecnológica? Would you be willing to offer your support in the development of the project? Would you allow your children to use said center? Would you, yourself use it? For you, which is better: that your children are expanding their conocimiento in the center or running around, causing trouble in the streets? 
The last one was my favorite since most people just answered with a laugh. But to literally go to each home, speak with adults and jovenes alike, see their excitement and listen to their responses? Absolutely beautiful. Sure, not all really understand its benefits. Not all will take part and help us. But they are now aware. And so many said such powerful things in response to our efforts. Like Lucila, one of my favorite women here in Mariano. She said that this project is the most beautiful and most impactful project that she has ever seen here in Mariano. Wow. Thank you, Lucila. And here's to keeping that motivation and determination alive for the rest of our lives.
Another reason I fully believe in our committee and their perserverence is that we didn't finish until dark-8pm. When we made it out to the Cruce, I thought for sure we would do half and quit. Again, proven wrong and feeling guilty, we finished at the last home at the tip of Mariano's borders. I was exhausted but completely satisfied. I had no part in this. This was all their idea and they owned the execution entirely. So with about 75 signatures and 100% support, we've invited them all to the meeting today (Thursday) and I've got planning to do. It's now 8:30am, I ran and did leg work with Maria, and I'm going to shower, read, and start. An update on the meeting will come tonight!

So the meeting. We invited every single person from the community, right? Said 2pm-HORA AMERICANA, right? And the committee planned to meet at 1:30 to divvy up the presentation I made and make sure I didn't miss anything, right? Right. So I go to the school at 1:15 to start setting up the computer, TV, chairs, posters, etc. 

Finished, and sat. 2:15 rolls around, not a single person is there-not even from my committee. I lock the door and go to my house to grab my phone... And as I was leaving to walk up the hill and see if they were headed this way yet, sure enough at 2:30, there they are, begging for cold water, Popsicles in hand, eating. Cool.
We get to the school and finish setting up the chairs and talk about the presentation. By the time 3:30 comes, we've got maybe 15 people and decide to start. 

I did a dinámica, we shared info, and the group got weary fast. Then the location struggle. We've got two possibilities. And though I started to realize it before, I now know for a fact that the majority of my committee is manipulating their way into getting the center out in the Cruce because it would be closer to their homes... When maybe, a more central location, near the school would be best for all? Anyways, we've now got our group name, a vision, mission, and valores. 

The next meeting is set up and at 5, we cleared out the room. But the arguments began between committee members on whether or not we should start soliciting for money even if we don't have our location set. This was draining. And when I finally made it home, the conversation continued with Kelvin about location... I'm a little stuck as to what to do. I did see Sandro, however, who has connections with the person who owns the office here, near the school, and is going to give him a call. I'm gonna leave this one in His hands here cuz it's much bigger than me but do all I can to try and make sure the best decision for the community as a whole is made.
Friday update since I didn't do this blog last night? No running or exercises because I woke up sick. Again. It's been over a month now with different things every week. It's certainly getting old.. 
But alas, we push forward even if that currently means pushing forward in my bed at 11am :P 
Bendiciones.

No comments:

Post a Comment