Saturday, June 7, 2014

Orange Yucca and Pringles

7 de junio 2014. Well first things first, it's been a while, eh?
Officially had our one-year conference in Jarabacoa. First night there I got pretty sick so I sadly spent the week sleeping and not eating. I was able to make it out to a beautiful waterfall with an insane hike back up so that was awesome :) Speaking English, friends, and motivation were other highlights of the week! Also breaking wood with our hands to metaphorically represent kicking ass in this last year! 
I came back Saturday and this is what happens to yucca when you leave it for a week:
Pretty orange, huh?
I then slept and though I felt better, I was exhausted. Sure enough, Monday, I arose again sick. Though It's been two weeks now, I'm just grateful I don't have the Chimichanga :P 
It was the last week of classes, and I gave my English exam on Friday. Almost all failed... I'm such a good teacher!
It also rained a lot this week:

Thursday (jumping around here, forgive me), we had a meeting about the possibility of an Internet center/library in my community. We've got the location (don't have to build from the ground up!), a committee with a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary, and about 15 other motivated people. Next steps? Secure that the location is ours, find other organizations willing to help, solicite government help, and for me, start on the grant application. Our next meeting is in two weeks. I'm overwhelmed with the work and worry of only having one year to do this and make it sustainable but I'm so excited. This was something I saw/wanted since day one of arriving but it just wasn't the right timing yet. And I've been searching for a real purpose since for five months now, only to discover that this really was it! I just had to wait (welcome to development work). I have day dreams every time I close my eyes of what it will look like and how it might function. As many prayers and good thoughts as possible are welcomed to my little home of Mariano!
So back to Friday. After my exam, I realized how bad my breathing was getting and had Maria check out my lungs. Yep, got fluid in those suckers...Mmmmm :) so of course, the battle to find meds began. I called a friend in the closest town and she graciously went to see if they had them. They didn't. One trip saved. She was then going to go to DaJabon the next day and said she would look. But I decided I wanted to hit up the grocery store anyways so I set out at 7am this morning quite grumpy and only wanting to sleep. Three pharmacies and a moto guy running out to find it for me later, I got the meds, finished at the grocery store (Pringles on the list of top buys for the day) and headed back. I ended up having to wait in Loma for an hour and a half for the truck to leave (he wanted to have more people) but I made it back by noon. Aaaaand proceeded to eat and lay down which somehow turned into 5pm. And I'm still exhausted. I guess when every breath you take feels like you're drowning, your body just kinda shuts down haha. Hoping the meds kick in and quick! There's talk of a river trip tomorrow with our softball team (since Kelvin promised us a game this weekend and didn't deliver) where we will go in the morning, cook lunch by fire, and spend the whole afternoon :) A moment I really wish my camera would magically reappear... Having a hard time excepting that it's gone.
But alas! We carry on :) 
Take care all, much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment