Monday, August 19, 2013

Don't Fight The Current. It'll Sting You.

August 19, 2013. And let the new school year begin!

But we'll get there in a second.  Rewind time for me? Let's go back to Friday. I returned to my site by 4pm after a successful trip from the capital (with lots of stuff jam-packed in the trunk of a car and the trunk bungeed shut-I will admit, my nerves had me checking behind me every two seconds when we were going 80mph). I unpacked everything and laid down for a moment to rest. This "rest" however, turned into me passing out until 8pm. I guess that's what I get for not going to sleep until 2am nearly every night last week and then getting up at 6:30am every morning.  My host mom heard me rustle and called to me that she had made me dinner. I ate by candlelight and went right back to bed until Saturday.  
Saturday I arose to still no luz so I hung out with Dulce a bit. I went abajo to give Juana Iris her certificate for coming to my Community Diagnostic presentation. I also saw Ramirez who said the land is good to go for the court (!!!!). I was so pumped. Lots more information to gather but that part was the most important piece to moving forward. I then headed to see Linda since it had been way too long and since I knew I was leaving again. We chatted for a while but the luz returned so I left so I could wash my clothes. 
Nati (the director) was supposed to come to the school for something and I was gonna hitch a a ride back to Villa with her. She had invited me to go to the beach with her and her family Sunday.  She ended up not coming so I grabbed a carro público and went. And for the second time in a row, I successfully spoke with a random Dominican and understood everything :). I can't tell you how good that feels. I hung out with her and her family and enjoyed watching the dynamics of her children. She has an 18 year old daughter, a 14 year old daughter, and an 8 year old son. And the relationships between the three were exactly like Sam, Jacob, and I. Worlds away and yet we're not so different.
We arose at 6am and started preparing to go. What I didn't know was that there were 7 busses packed with people going too. Haha But it was awesome.
We went here:

With:


And:


And...


I got stung by something. Haha yup. They think it was a starfish? I don't know if you can tell, but there's red, scaly marks in the shape of an oval and then two "legs" branched out from on side and two more on the other. But yea, I was just swimming along, in the midst of 100s of Dominicans, in shallow water, chatting, when...ZING. I felt something wrap around the back of my leg and shooting pain seeped into my skin. I screamed out and the Dominicans asked what happened. Of course I started laughing but I told them something bit me. They asked if it hurt and didn't understand how when I said yes, a lot, cuz I was laughing lol. I left the water and the markings you see above puffed up huge and blushed a deep red.  For a few hours I was in serious pain and fighting back tears. They put ice on it at first and then lemon (oh Dominican home-remedies). After what felt like forever, the swelling went down ("Gracias a Dios y el limón") and the pain stopped coming in waves :D
By the time we left, waited for someone that didn't show up, started to leave again, waited again, and eventually officially left, we made it back by 8:30pm. And public transportation stops at 8 so I was stuck there another night. I love her and her family so it would have been totally fine if the director hadn't just told me...
They don't have a first grade teacher for the first few weeks of school. And then followed up with, "Would you be able to do it?" I'm having 101 emotions along with this new adventure. It's actually not allowed by Peace Corps that I teach. This isn't my job, it's not my purpose. I'm not going to do much sustainable work this way. I'm not prepared. I don't want them to get used to just pulling me into a classroom when there's a hole. What would they have done if I wasn't here?
But then there's the other side of me. Screaming. YES! You can teach! You can try things out that you think would be successful (in a different culture) before trying to tell the teachers to do them! You can briefly help the kids love learning! Maybe it'll be a good way to be an example for the teachers. This is what you love! Sigue!
So I set up "my" classroom today. Holy-new-materials. Holy-in-my-element. Holy-work-load. Oh by the way, classes started today. But it's the norm here that pretty much no kids show up. Whether it be because they don't have a notebook or pencils or uniform or book bag, or simply cuz they don't want to, they just don't come. And coincidentally (or is it the other way around?), the teachers aren't prepared. No plans. No order in the classrooms. Bare walls. Dirty floors. Etc.

But before:



And after:



It's not done despite being there from 7am-6pm (partially cuz I ended up having to make 5 copies of two posters that I had made cuz the other teachers liked them and wanted them too) but I've got all week since most don't come at all this week. Half do next week. And then the rest by the third week. But I've got a billion ideas and no idea where to start. This will be an interesting few weeks, I'll tell you that. 
But hey:

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like
Lao Tzu

I don't believe in always letting things happen for I feel we have the power to change our circumstances and better lives. I do, however, know that there are times when we need to just ride the current; doing the best we can to continue breathing, continue floating, and calling out to those nearby.  Until, that is, a change in the direction comes into view.

Entonces, until I see that change in direction: tomorrow the work continues and I'm going to try again (tried once today) to see the director of the other school. Vamos a ver y Buenas noches.








No comments:

Post a Comment