Friday, August 2, 2013

¡¡¡$@%#msnfaldciksms#%$&!!!

August 2, 2013. Okay, I'm ready to go public with this. Haha that sounds funny. But seriously. Now that plans are in the making and three of the most influential people in my community know about it, I feel like I can tell everyone what I've been losing sleep over due to my excitement.
Remember the blog about my new dream within my bigger dream of Peace Corps? Upon doing interviews in the community, I discovered and understood better than there is absolutely NOTHING for the kids to do here (no matter what age, really). Yes, there is a Play but no one uses it because no one has the materials (a bat, glove, ball, nothing). So while my focus is in the schools with literacy, my new dream was a secondary project where (somehow) a center could be built for kids to hang out with books, games, etc, and also a court for them to play basketball or volleyball or something (and with materials!)
Well. Just about two weeks ago in the Peace Corps newsletter was an article about an organization in the states called Courts4Kids. This group sends a sports team of about 15-25 kids either in high school or college (with adults too) to a community somewhere in the world to build a court where it is needed and with the opportunity to play basketball, volleyball, and soccer. They provide about half of the cost and provide extra labor hands. The community has to raise the rest, provide the local contractor, and information on where the team can stay and travel costs (etc). That's half of my dream right there... sitting directly in front of my face on my little iPad. Literally only a day or two after I had this realization. But the application was due August 31 if you wanted this to happen in 2014. I cannot even begin to describe to you what I felt in my chest that night. I didn't sleep (and haven't really slept since). My mind raced as far as it could go before my lack of knowledge halted all thoughts. So I would return to the beginning and filter through it all again. Was it possible here? Where could it be built? How could we raise the rest of the money? Would the community members go for it? Do I have the Spanish to explain all that is needed? Could we find out all the information necessary in one month? Etc.
Wow. So finally yesterday I was able to see the pastor and do my interview. First sign from God (as if I haven't already gotten a ton just with finding this opportunity when I did): I caught the pastor at his house. Second: In response to the questions, "What kinds of things are here for the youth to do? And what would you like to see here for them?" he said there is nothing. And among other things, he would love to see a court for the kids to play because so many play basketball or soccer but not baseball. Hahaha oh my god, seriously. Third: I showed him the project and he literally sprung to his feet with excitement. He went off, hands flying around and feet pacing the floor, about the possibilities and with the biggest grin on his face, raved about what a blessing this opportunity is. He told me to share this with my director and that Ramirez (another influential body in the community) was a construction man so he would know all about finding a local contractor, the land, and getting prices (fourth sign?). 
So today I met with Nati at the school. We discussed all things diagnostic first and then I brought up the project. She got excited too and proceeded to call Ramirez who came to the school within 20 minutes. The three of us spoke for an hour about where, how, when, and what needed to come next. 101 possibilities were discussed and plans are in motion. Ramirez already called someone to speak of the land and knows the urgency of the application. A Junta de Vecinos meeting will be held to involve the community and possible power-people in the bigger towns around us may be able to help financially. 
Holy. Shit. On the way out of the school I may or may not have done a little happy dance with a squeal.... And got laughed at hard haha. But with their excitement and quick movements I finally felt like there was passion here that matched mine. And this might actually become a reality. Incredible... And now, I rest for I have no more words to describe just how I feel. I'll have to leave that up to your, the reader's, imagination and how well you know me :)

Also: I freaking love avocado.
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment