Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Angels are Everywhere

16 de Abril.
Backtrack- Last Wednesday,  I successfully had both literacy classes! The breeze proved difficult yet again but my munchkins weathered the storm with me and left one by one after great big hugs to say their goodbyes.
Thursday- I went to the school in the morning to plan for Friday's English classes. Upon my arrival, however, I was thrown into taking 15 kiddos to Restauración for a Medio Ambiente and Educación Artistica activity. A little distraught with what was a great responsibility, I put my commander boots on and herded the kids into the truck. The activity to follow was beautiful. A little unorganized but I was in love watching the kids draw, paint, color, and imagine a clean, healthy world to live in. 



And in the end? Two of my boys won prizes (money!) for their artwork! 


I was a happy camper :)


After the mess that was finding our ride back, we made it by 2pm-just in time for Kevin to come pick me up. We were headed out to basically beg for money and find a truck to take our softball team to DaJabon Saturday for a game. He never showed up...
Friday- I ended up with no English class in the morning because after all, all of next week is vacation so why go to class Friday. Right...? But luckily in the afternoon, I did have class with my 7th graders.
I then hung out with Yosi during the break, and Dominga later in the day. Those small moments really are my favorite and I forget that sometimes.
Saturday- Kevin came and got me so we could do last minute begging. He's an incredible guy so thankfully, everyone loves him and we were able to get enough money and a truck to go! Coming back, I ate, changed, and it was time to go get the guy with the truck. Turns out, the job they were supposed to have started was being started right then and there. And wouldn't be done until two hours later. Por lo menos... No truck. But with the help of an angel and the generosity of another, we got another one! And almost two hours late, we were off to play! The baseball feild was gorgeous (in comparison) and we had music, fans, and as night fell we even had lights! We lost the two games but played significantly better than last Saturday. So with celebratory beers, Pica Pollo, and chanting, we headed home around 10pm. 
Sunday- While I was gone for my crazy aventura last week, a man in my site passed on to become an angel. Sunday was the 9th day which is of major significance in this country. So I got ready early and went to find Nena. Her and I walked out to the Cruce and up to the house where there were tons of chairs, tarp, benches, and people. Arriving at 10am, we did a lot of sitting, eating, drinking coffee, and just talking. Multiple moments of prayer services were held throughout. I also ended up meeting Damion, another PCV up in this area but who has just completed his service and is staying in the country with another job. We sat and talked for hours. Around 4, the final "mass" was being said. During the procession, however, the wailing began... Two women ended up passing out. I wasn't sure what exactly was happening because I know sometimes here, people are "overcome by spirits" and such. But these women were absolutely gone. I was worried they weren't even breathing at one point... They carried them outside and put them in chairs. Fanned them. Crumpled leaves of a certain tree in their faces for the aroma. Slapped them. Begged them to come back... After twenty minutes or so with no responses, they were rushed to hospital. I've never seen anything like it. So at 4:30, I walked home with Francheska crying in my arms and TiTin holding my other hand.
Monday- At 7:30am, I was off to Santiago for a follow-up meeting for the Escojo Enseñar Conference. I arrived, went to the hotel I was staying at, showered with cold but running water and headed to the meeting. Afterwards, the day was filled with friends and pizza that in the moment was the best decision ever and then for two days after? Worst decision ever. As for the night? Ended with Cory and I watching Pitch Perfect, a beer, and jamming out to music until 2am ;)
Tuesday- We had breakfast and then headed our separate ways. When I got to caribe Tours at 10am to catch the guagua to Loma at 10:15am, the bus was already full. And the one for DaJabon as well. The next bus wasn't scheduled to leave until 4pm which would be I possible to get to my site at that hour. Damn. I left and headed to the street where I thought I could grab a different guagua to DaJabon. Four or five passed me and didn't stop... I was very confused. Then another and as he finally pulled over for me, I noticed his bus was empty. He asked what I needed and explained that the stop for these busses was up the road a ways. And with a total stranger's kindness, offered to take me to the stop for free. We chatted a lot and when we arrived, he showed me which bus to snag. An angel in disguise. So, bus to DaJabon, caught another to Loma and then a truck to my site before the final 30 minute stretch on foot; arriving around 2:30pm.
I immediately went to eat, then slept a while, awoke to dinner and dominoes, and caught up with Kevin. We only talked for a little over a half hour but I swear we covered everything. From last week's game to universities, to travelling, to September 11th. I'm so grateful for him and his family. And with his goodbye-a promise of practice tomorrow, and a game Saturday. Ojala que si!
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment