Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Entire Last Year in One Week

2 de Abril 2014

So Sunday night was our arrival. I got to my Doña's and her grandkids were just there. The ones I used to play with? They stopped what they were doing, looked at me for a second... And then... "JULIE!!" With running attack hugs. SO GOOD. We immediately started playing volleyball in the street and another form of dodgeball. And then my new favorite phrase which has been said a lot to me lately: "Oh, but why do you talk like us?" Talk about swelling heart and big head haha. When my Doña arrived from church I shouted, "Mamá!" And she responded, "Mi hija!" And we hugged. I begged her for forgiveness for not calling her and she said there was nothing to forgive. We talked all night and it was beautiful. Apparently she said to the new volunteer staying with her, "Julie is coming. I had her a year ago. She didn't talk much Spanish but I liked having her around." Haha I'll take it! :)
Monday was my first charla with the newbies. Unfortunately it was 2 hours of heavy information and they were getting sleepy at the end, understandably so. But they were such a good group. And thanked me afterwards. What?? Haha I also distinctly remember, back in training, when I watched old volunteers teach us. They always tripped over English words and use Spanglish. I remember thinking, "Wow. If only someday I could get so good or just talk so much Spanish that I'll be forgetting English words or talking in English with random Spanish words thrown in. That would make me so happy. Proud."  Guess what? I did it without even trying. And it was just as awesome feeling as I thought it would be. I couldn't for the life of me think of the words "Upper case and Lower Case" letters haha. I started dying laughing in the middle of my talk and told them why. And gave them a brief, don't-worry-about-your-Spanish-level speech :D
Later I had nothing to do because they were in Spanish classes. So I walked around town. I visited the Doña where I had Spanish classes and she was hysterical! Super excited to see me. Immediately busted out her phone and took a picture of me to keep and said she was always asking about me and how I was. And then: MARCIA. My old Spanish teacher from training. My saving grace and angel. The one who cried with me one day with frustrations had crashed into the zinc roof of our outdoor aula. She teared up upon hearing me talk... Ugh. No words.
I met up with Brendan after who is the new PCVL (taking over for Laila and is like Amber was for me in CBT). I took him around and showed him the ropes because he had never been to Monte Plata before. We took a break and got ice cream Mmmmm.  We decided to eat it in the park but we were met by a man speaking absolute jibberish. We had no idea what he wanted. Then I saw him reach into his pocket and slip out a knife... Midday. Brendan didn't do anything. The knife went back in his pocket but then he sat down next to us, still talking nonsense. I looked over at Brendan and simply said in English, "I think it's time to leave." He looked at me funny so I told him that the guy has a knife in his pocket. His reaction told me that he hadn't seen it. So we simply got up and walked away. Safetly haha. Oh the life in the DR :P We finished off the day with coffee in a hotel lobby and walking in the rain.
That night we also hung out with some trainees and shared stories. They were wonderful.
Tuesday I had nothing to do so I went to an English class in town with an old friend who I played volleyball with last year. The teacher was great and spoke very well. Afterwards I went with the trainees to visit their schools that they will be working in. I went back to my old school and our painted walls are still intact and decent looking! If not just a little dirty :P But the director recognized me and a teacher greeted me with a huge hug too :D Raini and I then went to the training center to set up for my next charla Wednesday morning. A few chocolate milks and Dominoes with some Dominicans followed and I went to bed tipsy and riding in the clouds. 
Wednesday I got ready, and backpack on and bags in the hands I looked and my Doña and just made a pouty face. She goes, "You're leaving me all over again, aren't you?" I nodded. And she says, "I'm going to miss you all over again." We hugged and she watched me walk away from her porch...
At the training center my session was way more fun. We created example activities for different parts of the literacy wheel. We then talked about limited resources and what kinds of materials can be made in the campos where there isn't much and still be effective. We then spent the rest of the time simply making those. Fichas with the alphabet, vowels made out of sandpaper, and home-made clay. I loved it :). At the end, Brendan and I had to book it quick. But as a going-away-thank-you, Raini bought me a belt that is a bright blue with jewels on it. LOVE (I think I'm becoming Dominican...). She then had my name written vertically on charla paper and the trainees came up with adjectives for each letter to describe me. Oh. My. God. I was almost in tears. And even after they finished and were able to go home and eat, they came up and wrote me little notes all over it. I asked Raini to save it for me :D 
Grabbing Pico Pollo and making a bus wait for us, Brendan and I were then on our way to the capital. He split to go somewhere else and I made it to the office sweating and shaking with the weight of my bags. Haha I got my paperwork for my dentist appointment tomorrow, checked my mailbox, and chatted with a volunteer who is COSing in a month. It was interesting to see the new trainees, me being a year in, and then talking with another who is just about done. Whirlwind. 
I got a taxi to the hotel (so worth it) due to a rise in crime in the capital. Unpacked for the 100th time and immediately headed out to run errands. Got some body wash (exciting right??), headphones (lost mine...), charla paper (IKEA!!) and presents for Dulce, Linda and... my godson!!! Cuz tomorrow I'm going to my beloved KM59 to visit! I'm so excited but also nervous. When we passed my site on the way to Monte Plata my heart sunk so hard and fast. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling but the tears welled up and it was difficult to hold back. 
When I made it to the hotel I called Dulce and Linda to tell them I was coming. Linda's reaction was the best. She screamed so loud I had to pull the phone away from my ear :D. 
So tomorrow I have my dentist appointment at 9am, check up with Boriana at 11am and I'll head out right away for 59. I'm only going to visit for the day though because I've got the hotel room another night, gracias a Peace Corps (and your tax money ;) ). And it will be 100X easier to leave from my site on a direct guagua from the capital early Friday morning. And I'll make it back for the softball game we apparently have Saturday with DAJABON. Kevin, our softball coach, called me begging me to come back for the game haha. I wasn't going to but it seems to be working out better that way. Staying at 59, would've been wonderful, but would've complicated things. 
Phew! That's a lot of random shit. And though not entirely all fascinating, I felt bad for not writing in so long. And I can't contain all this excitement and renewed positivity and confidence... This week has literally been like a recap of my entire last year. And I was able to truly see the difference between last year and now. Things are looking up. They have, in fact moved forward. And I'm more ready than ever to keep them moving forward.
For all of the love and support I get from back home? Thank you. I know I went MIA for a while there but I never once forgot about you or stopped feeling the prayers rolling in each day. I love you all.
And with the broken TV in my room (damn it, I was so pumped to watch at TV haha), I should sleep. 
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment