Thursday, April 3, 2014

Que Dios Me Los Bendiga, Cuide, y Proteja Siempre

3 de abril 2014. What a day. I'm still sometimes amazed at how fast my mood and emotions can change in the span of 24 hours in this country. Or less. 
This morning I arose and arrived at the dentist on time. I didn't have to wait long, Gracias a Dios and planned on only talking in English por si acaso. But the dentist was wonderful. And I understood her completely. Immediately she put on music in English. Chill music like Celine Dion. But we talked only in Spanish and come to find out, I got two cavities. Aaahhhh. My first cavities EVER and I got TWO while in country. Oh well :P But she was concerned about time and her next appointment so she wanted to fill them later in the day. I passively fought back. Saying I really needed it now because I had special plans to meet my godson and I live so far away and needed to leave tomorrow tempranito. And she caved for me! I was so grateful despite walking out of there with half of my mouth feeling like it was drooping from the anesthetic haha. And she drilled out half of my one molar... Rushing to get to the office in time for my regular check up with Boriana, I received a phone call from the med office assistant. The doctors went into a surprise meeting right at 11am (my appointment time...) and she wasn't sure when they'd be back. I'd have to wait... We both thought it would be possible still to make it before their lunch break. All I cared about at that point was making it to KM59 with enough time to visit. So I sat in the office until noon. Still no doctors. I left with the request that she call me when they arrived. Eventually hunger struck so I left to get food. At 1pm, they arrived but needed to eat lunch... So in the lobby I sat, defeated and the tears started welling up. With an hour trip to my site and another hour back, I was losing time. And fast. Finally at 2pm (three hours late), I was in with Borianna. She knew the situation because she saw me crying and made my appointment fast, being sure to hug away the pain before and after. So at 2:40, I was off.
I sped walked to the Metro, made it to KM9, got in a car and we slowly made our way. Of course I got the chofer who wasn't in any hurry... But I made it to Villa and then made it to the next car that would take me to my site. I arrived at 4pm. Stopping for hugs with my kids all along the way, I went to the school first. I saw Natividad, Ramona, Yokasta y los demás. And holy shit did my munchkins grow!! And it's only been two months! It felt like a year.
I then went to Dulce's and was greeted with coffee. Lili and I made our way arriba to visit her grandmother and for a while we sat and chatted. Eventually Fredito made his way back from the river. It was great to see him. Then off to los Solares where immediately upon seeing my old house I lost it. And hard. I couldn't continue walking and had a hard time breathing. I knew it was going to be difficult but man... Then? I was able to collect myself. And saw my baby boy for the first time. He was sleeping on the bed and as soon as I held him, more tears. Linda looked great. He was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice, just like me. Now, three weeks after his birth, he weighs 9lbs. This beautiful little man with tiny feet and hands was warm in my embrace. And she made sure to put the shirt on that had the American colors and stars haha. 




Can you tell I'm crying there^? Haha. My heart was full. I stayed for about an hour but knew time was running short. The clouds were rolling in and darkness started to fall. I said my goodbye with a promise to be back in a month with my parents (!!). Back at Dulce's, I got to see Moreno. He had been out of work for a month with his back and leg bad yet again... But he's better. As I was about to leave, Dulce offered me tostones and salami. Oh I couldn't resist. But of course, by the time it was made and ate, I was leaving after 7pm (don't tell PC) and in the dark. Fredito walked me to the thruway after stopping 100X to say goodbye to people I didn't see before. Such a crazy, rushed visit. And as fast as the seconds passed, the emotions flowed through my body even faster. We waited a half an hour for something to pass by. I was getting scared and my heart responded with faster and harder beats by the minute. But a guagua finally passed, I got on and though I had to pay extra because it was night time, I was so grateful. I chatted with an older man who was so sweet and interesting. Back at KM9, I luckily got to the metro with enough time to make it to my stop closest to the hotel. It was like each step was a sigh of relief but only momentarily as the nerves would course through me because I had yet to arrive at my destination. Making it to Gomez, I now had to walk a few blocks. And with crime against volunteers specifically on the rise lately (so bad that they've been having lots of meetings at the PC office to try and figure out what to do)? I was feeling fear which rarely happens nowadays. But as I took each step towards safety in the light of the capital and moon, I chanted softly, "Que Dios me cuide. Que Dios me proteja." Over and over again until the big yellow hotel greeted me as if to say, "Everything's alright. God brought you to me safetly." 
And though I have to leave early tomorrow, I went up to the roof to calm my breaths and soak in what was a stressful and emotion-filled day. I already know sleep won't come easy tonight. I really do think about 59 everyday still. The pain still exists when I think back to leaving them behind. And while I truly am so much happier in my new site, I don't think I'll ever accept that I had to go. Linda said that the problems between my director and teacher still to this day exist. So I know I would've been a mess there. But my heart was changed there. I grew there. My first real family was formed there. And my first real home amongst those incredible people will always remain back there.

Que Dios me los bendiga, cuide, y proteja siempre. Los extraño muchísimo. Y como ya dije, nunca los puedo olvidar. Cuídense. Y piensen en mi solamente con felicidad.
Buenas noches.




No comments:

Post a Comment