Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Persevere, Climb, and Conquer (and keep playing somewhere softball in between there)

7 de Abril, 2014. Bueno. So Friday I arrived around 3 after 5 1/2 hours in the guagua and 30 minutes in a pick up truck with an empty stomach and heavy shoulders. Thank GOD someone found me in the walk from the Cruce and brought me to my house. As soon as I arrived, I unpacked, swept, and organized while getting visitors left and right seeing that I had arrived well :). And then passed out until 7ish. Dinner was waiting for me, I ate and showered, and took care of TiTin through his two panic attacks... Around 8:30, I passed right back out till Saturday. Woo! 
That morning I slowly arose, and just hung around until 11:30am where I went to eat lunch early.  Cuz we had a softball game with DaJabon at 1pm (!!) and were supposed to practice at noon.  Of course practice at noon turned into at 2:30 and the game started around 3:30. And we lost both games... But to be honest, it really was taken by their pitcher. She was incredible and we don't have anyone like her. So the odds were stacked against us there. I think my girls got nervous because some that really know how to play, played horribly haha. But! Alas, every game has to have a loser. 
Afterwards, we raised money to treat the DaJabon team to chocolate milks but what I didn't realize was that not our entire team was going to. I went to my house just to sit for a second and all of a sudden, Kevin is calling me and saying, "Let's go!"  I got roped into the group going with them. I stopped, hesitated, and blurted, ""¿Pero asi, nos vamos?" As in, "But like this, we're going?" Meaning all sweaty and dusty from the game... And he just goes, "Yup! Súbete!" So in the back of the pick-up truck, we were off to Restauración!  And despite being super embarrassed by my clothing and undone hair (it's official, I've become more Dominican), I had a blast. Of course chocolate milks were poured by the plenty and I even got two more cartons bought for the whole team from a stranger haha. I also may or may not have danced which has completely spread around my town already despite the fact that only four people from my community were there... Bueeeeeno. But I also got invited to play with the DaJabon team :). I told them I would absolutely love to play but only if we don't have a game. Because Mariano Cestro is my team first and foremost. But if we aren't playing? I'm there :) 
Stumbling through dinner, a FaceTime date with my beautiful cousin Marissa, a shower and climbing into bed, I slept hard :) and emerged from my house Sunday at 10:30am. Oops?  The day was simply filled with planning, getting water (!!), hand washing my clothes, more planning, an Hora Santa for a man that passed away in my community while I was gone, and some adventures to end the night. One of those adventures involved a nighttime ride waaaay into Vara de Vaca where I've never gone before and seeing the horrible road conditions and the distance some of my munchkins have to walk to get to their school :( and even the lack of road through the woods that leads to Haiti where some kiddos also come from. It's insane. I had to walk both ways to Vara de Vaca this morning for my class and I almost caught myself complaining while sweating in the heat of the sun. But now that I know better? I can never complain again.
Today was Monday and we are back in the swing of things. The competition wasn't done while I was gone. Yoselin didn't talk with the director about the conference and some of our ideas like we talked about, and I "Les hacia falta" but I'm pretty sure it's only because we are a week late making the "Valores del Mes" on cartulina... But! We persevere, climb, and conquer. I made my side comment about how the competition won't succeed without the support of the teachers and director. That if it doesn't matter to them, it won't matter to the kids. I did the monthly values. And Yosi and I are going to talk with the director about doing some of the charlas from the Escojo Enseñar conference tomorrow. 
Here's to conquering :) 
Buenas Noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment