Sunday, April 13, 2014

We Only Sweat When WE Want to

8 de Abril, 2014. Finally! My morning walk again! This time it was with Altagracia, Lucila (the norm) plus Maria, the doctor, Viviana, and Julio's father. And now starting at 6am because the sun rises earlier and Altagracia hates sweating with the sun. She'd rather "sweat from only the hard work she's doing and not with the help of the hot sun."  So fun.
At the school I was put in charge of helping an 8th grader type up about 30 pages worth of information for a literacy event she's going to. Not so fun. But hey, I'm here to help, right? :)
During that time, I got a call from the DaJabón woman who wants me to play softball Saturday. I had been told we were playing with them this Saturday so I was quite confused. But she never got a confirmation call from Kevin so they were going to accept another team's offer to play and wanted me to be there. Haha but! I talked with Kevin after my afternoon classes and we are headed to DaJabon to play Saturday! I'm pumped.
I then found out that there's a possibility of Luisa and Live leaving forever this summer-commence immediate tears. Remember the star from the Escojo Enseñar conference? Where we had to write the name of a student we have that might be a bit difficult for us, a challenge in one way or another? I had written Luisa. She's not really one of my students but she was my new goal here. To love up on her and help her see things more clearly. Because the road she's headed down looks scary to me and I find myself getting so frustrated with her at times. But she was my new passion. To break through the hard surface and release all that she holds inside and isn't even aware of. Live is the same way but a little younger. And I've already cracked her a bit and get wonderful hugs regularly now. Luisa wasn't going to be easy. And now she's leaving before I'll get the chance...
Lunch, coffee, and then off to my afternoon first grade classes. Total success here in town :) Some of my kids seemed to make the click with the first few letters we have worked on! Aaaand then fail in El Cruce. One girl showed up after I made these adorable reminder notes:



Adorable right?? Yea... So we didn't have class. Afterwards it started to rain so I hung out on the porch of Dominga's house with the beautiful Naomi. And then went to my house to work for a while. Everyone (seriously, it felt like the whole town was gone) went to the Cruce to visit the family of the man that passed and so I spent the night with my front door shut and back door open and FaceTime-ing my parents. 
Lots of randomness, my apologies :)
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment