Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Just Some More Updates

12 de marzo 2014. 

I'm the new go-to-girl when a kid is bleeding from the foot. Three times now I've been fetched from my house or the baseball feild because some munchkin stepped on something and is losing lots of blood. One was pretty bad- carried him to the med office and held him tight to my chest as he screamed bloody murder with the anesthetic and then got three stitches. The other two weren't so bad but one was a rusty nail so she got it cleaned up, got a liquid med to take, and a slip for her momma to buy a shot just in case. Her mom doesn't have the money :( It's interesting though. Ever since the first one, they always find me to help one child who is crying here, or one that's bleeding over there. It makes me happy that they do, absolutely, but I know that means they do it because I'm the only one who will go and help.
The last one? First grade munchkin ran head first into a cement corner in the cancha. Was pouring blood from the forehead. He got four stitches but handled it like a champ. Limp and quiet afterwards, I asked him if he wanted to me to pick him up and carry him home. His mother who didn't want to sit with him through the stitches told him no way, he could walk. But I just looked at her, turned my back and said to him, "I'd love to carry you home if you'll let me. Right here in my arms so you can just rest. What do you think?" I got a faint smile but an absolute nod. I nodded back, winked, and carried him in my arms all the way to his house.

Whole tons of walking lately but I've met a bunch of people as of late and finally gotten out and around El Cruce which is another part of community quite cut off from us here in the middle. But my first-grade classes started. Here in the school first with 6 kiddos and then out in El Cruce after where the first day? One little girl showed up. And I went house by house and talked with each parent and handed them a slip with all the information needed THE DAY BEFORE. And reminded them all one by one in class that morning. haha I decided against giving the class to just the little one and went back to each house to find out what happened. One grandma didn't know where he was. I found him later and he said he didn't know where the class was (I asked each and everyone of them if they knew and they all said yes lol). One girl left with her mother for Santiago (but didn't tell me the day before that she wouldn't be there?). Another was in the capital but I knew that. And the other? Adorable, big eyed beauty softly said, "Oh, that started today?" And told me her mother was out somewhere so she didn't know. Trust me, if you saw her face, you wouldn't stay frustrated either ;)

A big fight broke out last week. I wasn't there but a girl, about 12, was beaten badly... Yesterday, my director talked to each kid involved. And took one into the office, removed his belt, and whipped him 8 times in the back. Hard. Because the boy had been involved. And I'm supposed to teach the power of positive reinforcement and discipline to 70 teachers and directors at the end of this month...

Going to be teaching a literacy session to the new group of volunteers that just arrived. At the end of the month, I'll be headed to Monte Plata (where my favorite Doña is!), and giving the charla for 6 hours. Haha. I'm excited and honored to do it but holy workload!

Chicas Maravillas Conference. Incredible. Joe is an old PCV that lives in Restauración but now works for a medical organization called FIMRC (algo asi). He's basically a boss who gets volunteers and tells them what to do :). They travel around the area (big difference? With money...) and do charlas, start diabetes clubs, hold medical conferences and he does what we in Peace Corps call "Chicas Brillantes" or "Superman" groups. They groups for young girls and boys where you play, do activities, and teach lessons on health, self-esteem, sex ed, education, etc. So in our area, he's had about 6 Chicas Brillantes (he calls them Chicas Maravillas) groups in 6 communities. 
Entonces, here in mid-May he calls me to request help for a conference he's having with the girls. At 7:30 I was cogering all my girls and despite some of them being late, we made it to the Cruce when the big pick up truck arrived. And it was already packed with girls. Worst truck ride of my life. I was facing out standing with my arms behind me holding on to a group as every curve we took, pot hole he hit, and hill we climbed was a nightmare of girls shifting in groups nearly throwing off those sitting on the edge. My entire body was shaking like crazy upon arrival.
But the conference was amazing. Over 100 young women attended and we took pictures, danced, heard from various DOMINICAN professional women giving inspirational talks, sang, did presentations, and chants all with a focus on sex-ed and health in general. Beautiful. Thinking about whether or not these girls would have experienced these things without Joe and his crew? Had me in tears knowing each of my girls just a little bit, where they come from, and their abilities and power. At noon (short conference), my heart was full, my face was wet, and my legs were already shaking again with the anticipation of the same truck ride back... And I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment