Monday, January 13, 2014

I'm Baaaaaack!

13 de enero 2014. Well! I'm back! I arrived in the capital around 3:30 yesterday, bargained a taxi down a couple hundred pesos and made it to the hotel. After leaving my house at 4am, it was quite exhausting. I planned on showering and going to bed but! The lovely Lula and Greg were at a restaurant down the road and invited me over so I headed out :) It was so nice to see them again.
So, around 11, I was finally in bed but unable to sleep. Go figure, right? At 8am, we left for the office, I got a ton more malaria pills since I have no idea when I'll make it back to the capital, and made plans with Ann for Tuesday's trip to my new site! We then headed up to a mall I hadn't been too, I set up a thing called tPAGO where I can put minutes on my phone or pay for my internet WITH my phone. Crazy right? Lol
And after? Off to my KM59! I ended up having an awesome conversation with random guy on the guagua. And awesome as in I didn't lose as much Spanish as I thought! I saw a few of my chofers that loved to mess with me at the place where I pick up my car in Villa. When I finally got to my site, it felt strange. Not necessarily bad, but somehow my heart knew I no longer belonged there. But I made my way through and got running hugs from my kiddos getting out of school. Saw Ramona, Juana Iris, Luis, and others right off the bat. Then the teachers from the morning tanda and Natividad! The visit there was brief though cuz I knew I was gonna be back for the afternoon. I went to Dulce's and she excitedly greeted me and Moreno was even there! Not working! He made me feel so welcomed and loved. As Dulce cooked, she kept passing me the phone to say hey to people cuz she seemed to have a ton of minutes for some reason. It was hysterical.
I must've drank four cups of coffees, ate, I sat in the gallery with Dulce, Margarita, Moreno, Alex's dad, Domingo, Luis, and Eddy and just talked, and even drank wine. It felt so good to see everyone again. I can't even explain it to you. While I could sense that this wasn't where I was supposed to be anymore, it still felt like home. Even Luis said to Domingo that "something better than money" was there. And that something was me. Hahaha
Around 4, I headed to the school to see the afternoon teachers. They were wonderful but all talking to me at once haha talk about head rush. I then left because Ramona said that Linda was home and I was so excited to give her the baby clothes. And I was justified in being excited! Watching her pull out piece by piece and scream with each one was such a beautiful thing. She freaked. So a HUGE thanks to those who gave me the clothes! She really needed them and appreciated them more than anything.
I then made Domingo drive me up to his mother (China) so I could see her. She was great but still mad that I left :/ another difficult encounter was Bebo... My little man who caused me so many problems but in the end, loved me like no other and hugged me like no other. He wouldn't say hello to me this time. Would barely look at me. And threw nasty comments my way... His mother said that when I left, each day he would say to her, "Julie is gonna come back. I just know it." And then I didn't. And now he hates me. It broke my heart.
But, it was getting late so I headed up one last time to my host mom's mom's house. And saw Fredito. He drove back all the way from Constanza because he had been told I was there. It was so good to see him. Aaaaand because of his later arrival and me not wanting to leave so fast... I left late (it was dark! Don't tell Peace Corps...). But! The car ride back with a few guys and the driver ended up being the best car ride I've ever taken in the DR. The chofer put English music on! Aaaaand I was BELTING Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc. It was hysterical. All the while, I was mushed up against the total stranger next to me in the front and translating the songs for them. Amazing.
I got on the Metro, made it to the hotel, FaceTimed my family, (re)packed, showered and went to bed!
It really was SUCH a good day. I arrived yesterday from the states kind of numb. Leaving my family all over again was...brutal. I didn't feel the motivation I was hoping I would right away. But going back to KM59? It hurt a lot feeling so loved and missed but felt so incredible all at once. I really wasn't sure how they were going to be after me leaving and with the many problems we had.. And if that was after coming in with super limited Spanish? I plan on rocking my new site. I'm no longer nervous, I feel empowered, I feel at home (without actually having a home yet) and am so ready for what's to come. Good, bad, ugly, and amazing.
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment