Friday, July 12, 2013

A New Dream Within My Bigger Dream

July 12, 2013.  Ugh, I DID IT! Entrevistas!! Wooooo 4 in one day! And all by myself! And it wasn't too bad! Lol okay let me calm down... It's not that hard; trust me, I know. I'm not sure why I've struggled so much. But the fact is, I have struggled. But I'm done. From here on out I'm gonna kick ass (uh oh, I just made that public so now I can't fail...). 
Some good things came out of it. Some I didn't understand (one of my biggest fears) and some, I don't know if I can help with. Also lots of things were left out... What I mean by that is that many parents/community members don't see what I do in the schools... Hm. Also I'm faced with a big challenge because this school is going through so many changes. The director is new and possibly temporary, all of the teachers but one are new, and everyone hated the previous director so their new prespective is super honeymoon-like because anything is better than she was. Thus, I don't feel like I can judge too hard or determine the needs of the school just yet... It's in a transition phase...
But one thing was brought up that is now a huge goal of mine. I'm not going to put it here until I research the possibility a bit more. But my heart literally beats noticeably faster and harder when I think about leaving with this goal accomplished after 2 years. Vamos a ver. I now have a new dream within my bigger dream of being successful here in the PCDR...
So in the morning I did two interviews. I returned and did some research on the program, "Chicas Brillantes" which is a program for young girls in communities. It's geared towards raising self-confidence, teaching sex-ed, and having fun! From the little bit I've gathered it's needed here. Lili was there with me reading the manual and she got really excited about it so I got pumped too :D
After lunch I went to talk to Juana Iris about possibly having a community meeting soon but she was heading out. Her mother was there though so I did an interview with her. She's the one who filled me in on all the drama of the school... Then I went to visit Manuela. 
She and her older daughters gave me a TON of good stuff. So as much as she makes me uncomfortable, she's quite useful ;). So there is an Asociación de Padres (like a PTA in the states) a Juntos de Vecinos (community group), and Quisqueya Aprende Contigo (adult literacy program). This is great! Now I just need to see some meetings and classes! Oh and they are also where I got my big dream from...
They also told me that mass was today so I went home to get ready. But first... The director's son (from the other side) found me... Haha he had called many many times in the week to see if I could come to visit Villa again and I...avoided it. Lol! He said he just happened to be close by so he wanted to say hello. And ask why I hadn't been answering his calls...Oops :P 
Also random thought for today: Why does the damn dog at the neighbor's house bark ALL DAY LONG? Who is he mad at? And then why does my host mom's dog take over in the night?? It's like they have a pact... To drive me CRAZY. Well. That's just too damn bad for them. Cuz I already am crazy :)
Anyways. La misa at 5! Except... The preist is apparently on vacation haha. We waited in the classroom on the other side for a half hour and then China called and found out he wasn't coming. So we read the readings and had a discussion and left :P
Lili and I bought chocolate bars (for 5 pesos!) at a colmado and ate them on the way home :) and then I had yet another woman tell me I'm getting fat and ask me if my mother from home tells me that when we video chat... Yay.
Oh and my host mom pulled out quite a large dead rat from behind her dresser and just goes, "Mira Julie!" (Look!) with a huge smile on her face and a laugh :). Love her.

All in all I'd say today was pretty damn fantastic. Except for the fact that the water returned and then se fue as soon as I went to shower. I have to say I'd take water over luz any day (except for maybe then losing Internet...). But alas, I shall sleep and start de nueva mañana. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment