Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Can Walk Around Naked!

July 30, 2013. So today I spent most of the morning doing my PowerPoint Presentation for August's Community Diagnotistic shenanigans. I may not have done enough interviews yet but I certainly have enough information already. Around 4, I headed over to see Linda and do my interview with her. First we visited a neighbor who was making arroz con leche in a huge pot over a fire in a half-built house. It was delicious, by the way, but my main focus was-wait, house being built? Can I rent it? When will it be done? I'm still happy with Dulce and Moreno but I've been itching real bad for some privacy lately. Being woken up constantly at 5:30am by Moreno showering, grossly (like, seriously disgusting) hacking and spitting, and making breakfast. And then feeling guilty when I want to talk to someone back home a little later than normal at night and they're already in bed. Also. Sometimes I just don't want to eat. So when I'm on my own, I won't have to. And I can willingly wake up at 5:30am like I've wanted to to start running. 
I asked Linda and she said they're building about 4 houses but renting halves. Meaning I'd have to share the house. Nope. As we walked back, however, I saw the house that Lucy (family of Dulce) lived in. They just moved to Santiago but had quite the decent house here. And written on the outside? "Se vende o se alquila" (which means "for sale or for rent") with a phone number!!! Ah! Linda and I excitedly talked about the possibility and she seemed to understand why I want to live on my own. The dialogue even went here...

Linda: And you could walk around naked! Be free! You understand.
Julie: Yea! With the windows shut!
Linda: (with a "Duh, Julie" face) Well, yea.

Listen Linda. My Spanish is limited. Sometimes in conversations, instead of saying whatever I want or whatever comes to mind (cuz 90% of the time, I can't), I sit and there and go, "Okay, what do I know how to say that would work in this context..." So in this case, I knew how to say, "With the windows shut." So I said it...knowing how incredibly obvious it was. Hahahaha
But anyways! Fast forward to the 31st for a hot second- I asked Dulce about the house and they're renting it for $1,500RD a month. Hahaha what a joke that sounded like since I'm currently giving Dulce $6,000RD a month. For one room and food... And I could get an entire house with three bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and INDOOR bathroom for $1,500? How does that make sense? Doesn't matter, I'm sold.
...until later that night when Dulce softly pulled me aside and goes, "You know, what we were talking about earlier... Is it mandatory that you move out? (Shoulda said yes...) Cuz if you're comfortable here, you're more than welcome to stay." 
AHHHHH Even they know how to guilt me here!! Totally not what she was doing but I know how much $6,000 monthly helps out here... I graciously knodded and thanked her but didn't say anything else. I kinda just wanted her little self covered only in a towel to go shower so I would say, "Okay...I'll stay."
I'll probably just wait a few days before asking how I can go about renting the house just to soften the blow a little...
I will miss a lot here and on the days I don't feel like leaving my room, the kiddos always save me and get me out into the world again (even when in the moment I might be pissed, it's a good thing). And I'll certainly miss not having to cook for myself. And the pride I feel every time Dulce says something and I actually understand it. But alas, I'm not moving into a different campo. I will just have to get out and visit a lot. Especially on the days I really don't feel like cooking ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment