Monday, July 8, 2013

Prometemos

July 7, 2013. Today I arose late after a late night out with Dulce, Moreno, Joan, y Niño. But they got up late too :). At 11, Laila came to visit. It was great to have her come and justify my many
concerns about my site. She made me feel less crazy (though now I know for a fact that these next two years are in fact going to test me) we laughed a lot, ate a lot, and shared a lot. She also convinced me to call the Med Office about my many non-healing gross-looking cuts (fast-forward: to which they told me to put brown sugar on them... So I'm currently patched up in 6 different spots looking ridiculous). I walked her to the thruway and on the way back, the guy from the colmado that Linda goes to called me over. I did not have the energy or courage to stay and chat but he was persistent. And I'm glad he was. We sat outside with a man that lives in Villa and a few others and just chatted. I felt really good about the amount of Spanish I understood and how much I spoke. After the rains passed, I headed back home. Mayelin showed up and had Dulces to sell from her momma. So I went with her, met a new family, convinced a few muchachos to buy some with my fantastic looks ;) and showed my face abajo (for the third time in one day!). What a great day. And to end it? I hung out with Niño, Angie, Fredito, and FaceTimed my family. I was up until midnight and loved every minute of it. 
Until I woke up the next day...

July 8, 2013.  Haha joke, I promise. But when my alarm went off for my first day of summer classes, I wasn't completely thrilled :P Figuring the director was going to be late, I took it upon myself to find the key to the school which could be in one of two houses. And good thing I did because she didn't show up until 9 and my classes started at 8am haha. Buuuut Samuelito was the only one who showed up on time. I already figured this could be a reality but about an hour later more and more children showed up. At 9:30 I had about 6 kiddos from all different grades. I clarified the times for them (quite sternly I might add...) so hopefully Wednesday will be better. Also, I'm so glad I had what I had planned for the first day because it was easy to do with mixed grades and at separate times since they all came when they wanted to. See below!


First we did handprints to make what you see above. There really was no purpose but just to ease the munchkins in and make them feel comfortable. They were all nervous and timid at first but thought this was really cool. It was perfect. You can't see it but I wrote their names on their handprints too.
Then...


We talked about the rules of the summer classes (which seem silly with such a small amount of kids but I really want them to know that I mean business from the start. So they won't try and pull stuff on me later...). Instead of writing, "Las Reglas" at the top, I put, "Prometemos" which means, "We promise" and at the bottom, they all signed their names.
Then we did the infamous "¿Quién Soy?" sheet. Man oh man was it hard to tell them they need to stop drawing... They could have gone for over an hour but it was wonderful. We presented them to each other started with "Luces...Cámara...Acción!" And ending with different applauses. They were shy about it but as we continued, they let loose a little more. And loved it. I'll be sure to continue doing those things so they know that they're allowed to have fun! (After all, that's rule #5-Divertirnos!). 
I had a few older siblings helping me out which was good and bad. They helped translate if I was sucking at explaining things but they also were talking when I was trying to talk and being too harsh (it's a cultural thing that isn't terrible but I don't like it). I was able to start correcting them too and so hopefully if they return, they'll learn how I want them to act too. Haha wow, I sound like a witch :P But I learned quick that you have to be stern with these kids (not their fault but I won't say who's it is...) and they will listen but also respect you more so you can have fun with them-Win.
In the afternoon all of the kiddos came from the 4th and 5th grade class. And I went and retrieved Genesis who was supposed to come at 11 and didn't. She lives right down the road from the school and I know how much help she needs. So I went before lunch, told her mom she was supposed to be there but said she could come at 2 with the next class. But then I drilled into her that class on Wednesday is at 11. And for now, if I have to go to her house again, I will. She hates school (for good reason) but a huge goal of mine for summer (along with many others, of course) is to have her love learning again (or for the first time). 
I finished hanging things up, cutting out the hands, and making the suns and I headed out. I showered, dressed my wounds (minus the damn one under my nail=6 patches) with brown sugar and went out to Linda's. One patch got ruined within minutes as I lost a chancleta in the mud. and I couldn't avoid it this time. I've never seen that road so bad :/ Linda was quiet today but we chatted, played cards with her family, and they made me a mango batida with milk, sugar, and ice. Soooooo damn good. I left early-ish without getting fed (!!) and have just relaxed here at home. 
It's rained on and off all day and a tropical storm is predicted to hit us Wednesday. Bring it on! Let's see what a storm here is like when all I know are snow storms :P I feel good about today despite not having all of the kids come (I've got two years... This is just the beginning). I've gotta adjust some of my plans for Wednesday but not too much. It's just going to be evaluations through games so I can figure out where they are all at (though I already know that about 4 kiddos can't write their names yet...). Tomorrow, I have one goal to meet (starting small so I can work my way up) and I'm not going to fail this time.
Buenas noches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment