Wednesday, July 24, 2013

For A Special Someone Back Home

July 24, 2013. So back to this day. I was sitting in my classroom waiting for my next class to begin when my phone rang. And my phone read: Gram Irene. My heart pumped with excitement because this special lady was celebrating her birthday today and I had wanted to call her. We chatted, her always asking way to many questions about me and not talking enough about herself but goodness do I miss her.
Let me explain why. I am reminded of this woman everyday I spend here in the Dominican Republic. And in many ways:

¥ While I soak my feet in this burning water and getting ready to dress my sores all by myself, I'm reminded of the 100s of times the nursing side of her shined through and took care of my careless self. Even when I may not have needed it... Always passing out pills or patches or coming up with a homemade remedy for a staph infection (which freaking worked by the way!). 
¥ As my Doña boils water for my hot chocolate and prepares to start making my lunch, I'm reminded of the billions (and billions) of meals spent at my grandmother's house where I always ate much more than any normal girl my age should (since I was an infant-and yes, I remember that long ago, thank you). 
¥ The hospitality of the Dominicans is impeccable, even when they barely have anything to give. Every visit I make, I'm gifted with mango, juice, coffee, avocado, a hair clip, nail polish, or something. And even when I beg not to be fed for the third time before noon, the food is shoved down my throat. Sound familiar? "Gram, please I don't want anymore mashed potatoes," PLOP! Second heaping pile added to the plate. But with 1,000lbs of love along with it.
¥ The complete reliance on God and his will is impossible to miss here. "Gracias a Dios," "Si Dios quiere," "Vaya con Dios," etc are phrases used on the regular. Granted, sometimes, "Si Dios quiere" simply means, "I really don't want to and probably won't be there so God must not have wanted it." But hey, it's still there, and I think of the many ways in which she taught me and reminded me that I do have the big guy upstairs at my side always. I hope and pray that one day my faith will be as unshakeable and beautiful as hers is.
¥ Family is everything here. My host mom's mom lives arriba. Her nieces and nephews too. Then her sister lives a street over with more kids. Another sister just moved but not too far. And her daughter, son-in-law and grandson live on aquel lado. You feed anyone who is at the house. And anyone can show up whenever they want and they're always welcome. Coffee is made for guests. And even if all you have is a cookie, it's split however many ways there are people. Need I say more? Grandma's house with Grandma's ways.

I love you more than you can imagine Gram. And while you always tell me how amazed you are that I can live this dream of mine, I fully believe that it's partially because of you that I can. You taught me to love everything and everyone with all that I am. You taught me to serve others without asking for anything in return. You taught me to pray and keep the Big Man in the forefront for strength. And you taught me that family provides all the love and support I will ever need to go out and chase my dreams.

Happy Birthday.
I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment