Saturday, July 27, 2013

But Hey, I Love Roller-coasters

July 25, 2013. Trip tooooo...the capital! To get a green card... What? Haha feels funny to say that. I awoke at 5am and was heading out the door by 6am-perfect. Until my host mom called out from the kitchen, "Wait! Your tea is almost ready!" Haha she woke up early just to make me tea! They also yelled at me around 5:30am saying, "Um, Julie, there's luz, ya know." I had been using my headlamp to get ready cuz I didn't want to wake them lol. I explained that but she yelled at me to turn it on :). So of course, "your tea is almost ready" meant 15 more minutes. And then trying to gulp down scolding hot tea which is also the kind that bites your throat if you drink it fast (what the hell kind of tea am I drinking here??) was... Difficult. 
So out the door I went at 6:30am. Needed to be in the office by 8. I have to wait by the thruway to pick up a bus which could come in 2 minutes or 30. And it takes an hour WITHOUT morning traffic. Cutting it pretty close I'd say. I stood by the Duarte, nerves pumping, and hands sweating and not 5 minutes go by and a mini van slides up. Normally those are for Villa but the guy called out, "Rubia! Capital?" I've never been so excited to be called "Rubia!" Haha I got in and was off! My next plan was to get off early and take the Metro the rest of the way to avoid traffic in the capital itself. I think it was a smart idea based on what we hit before the Metro stop but then on the metro I missed one train cuz it was so full and then was so packed into the next one, I didn't have to hold onto a bar as we took off from each stop haha. Then power walking through the sticky, unbearable air of Maximo Gomez, I made it to the office panting at 8:14am. And I wasn't the last one! Hahaha WIN.
I greeted friends who I hadn't seen since the 4th, soaked in the speaking of English, filled out an application for the green card, found 2 padded envelopes in my mailbox and two letters that said I had packages waiting as well. I headed to that office and it turns out there were three. None of them were listed on the sheet I had to sign and one said I had to pay $100RD.  One guy called the other guy confused, that guy went through the same confusion and eventually threw all the boxes in my arms and said in Spanish, "Just take them all! Don't pay and just go." Haha I literally ran out laughing and saying, "Okay! Gracias!"
I began opening them in the lounge and was completely overwhelmed. Too many people were there though so I was able to hold back the tears. I can't describe the feeling I used to get in the states when someone would do something or buy something for me because no one understands it. It was bad then, and I guess got worse here. Acts of service and gifts are certainly not one of my love languages. So while I'm currently not speaking to my parents until tomorrow:
1. Sharing a box of my Reese's Pieces with the Peace Corps family was a blast. And the other two chocolates with my kiddos back in site was adorable.
2. Walking up to the finca in my new, durable, comfy sandals made a world of a difference. Even though they may have looked ridiculous with my skinny jeans, I couldn't have cared less, it was that good of a feeling for my feet and legs.
3. Seeing those Toms I had eyed just before leaving the states was... Indescribable. I know, they're just shoes. But they're orange with suns. They're me.
4. Cats in the cradle to give my hands something to do when the words just aren't there? Already a success once. And Lili loves doing it too.
5. And 100s of packages of those damn tissues? More of a life saver than you can understand and in many ways. Even now when I ran out of gauze for my sores, I had something to use.
6. Bug spray that actually might work so I don't have to wear pants everyday?? (Though getting more pants was super exciting too so at least it's not the same three pairs everyday...). Ugh.
7. MY HAMMOCK!! Need I say more?
8. Those stupid Dollar Store solar powered flowers and the hula girl. Oh. My. God. The happiness I felt was ridiculous with that. Every time I look at them on my nevera, I'm taken home and in the best way possible. Gram, I got a kick out of telling everyone how much you love those things and how happy they made me. And watching them run out into the sun with them to see them in action was hysterical.
9. Real triple antibiotic ointment? Yes.
10. And the letters in each box. Perfection and the icing on the incredibly delicious cake. Wow. 

There was probably more that I missed but with every direction my head is in at the moment, that's all I've got. Just amazing. I'm am so beyond blessed with the family love and support that I have back home. It's indescribable. And is the main reason (and biggest struggle at the same time) that I am able to be here, doing what I am doing.

Moving on... We headed out in a van to the Migration Office and waited for two hours. Took a picture which I didn't smile for and received my completely unattractive green card-which is literally green! Haha back at the office, I went in to see Maria, the doctor. We chatted but it was more like her laughing at me for cutting the top of my head on barbed wire, and she checked out my sores. And said... "Oh. Julie.. These are a lot worse than you made them seem." hahaha Oops? She took a culture, cleaned them, put a gross black, smelly cream from Bolivia on them and dressed them in gauze and tape. Then handing me all those things, ordered me to repeat every morning and take antibiotics for the next 10 days. And no river bathing until then :( Lame. But she's the best. 
In the lounge, I organized my things (more like stuffed everything in my book bag) and Cory, Samuel and I headed to America! We had sushi for lunch (haha yup!) and shopped around Jumbo. I got some school stuff and other necessities (including a baseball-he volleyball will just have to wait, it was too pricey) and then wandered around and got frozen yogurt. A wonderful break just before going back to site. From there I hopped back on the uncrowded Metro, and just missed the Villa bus by two seconds (I watched as it pulled away as I was on the stairs from the walkway haha). I wandered for a second trying to ignore the calls of the cobradors of all the other buses and then saw a car with the sign-Villa on top. I asked the driver to be sure and about a minute later, I was on my way out! Perfect! I made it home around 6pm and emptied my stuff with Lili, David, and Alex- who are always here when I return from the capital cuz I always have new stuff lol. We spent the rest of the night hanging out (I told them no Internet or computer tonight) and my day was complete.
Emotionally it was a rollercoaster, as per usual. But hey, I love roller-coasters, right? :D Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment