Friday, September 6, 2013

Be Patient and Love Thyself

September 6, 2013. Yesterday I finally did what I'm supposed to do. I did evaluations in my own classroom. One child at a time. I felt peace, calm, and purposeful. Of course all the other things I've got going through my head wouldn't leave me completely alone but oh what a difference!
I also went to the other school and I'm going to begin on Tuesday there! I have yet to speak to the director directly, but the teachers gave me her blessings. I stood my ground when the teacher tried to tell me to do first grade on Tuesdays, second on Wednesdays, and third in Thursdays. I said no, it would be better for the children if it was more consistent and for less time each day. So, first grade from 2-3pm, second grade from 3-4 and third from 4-5. :D I returned to my school early so I hung out there to see if there was anything I could do to help. Wonderfully enough, I ended up playing volleyball with the 8th graders :D. One boy in particular who is new here knew how to play. We volleyed alone for a bit and he didn't want to stop (neither did I!). 
That night I received an email from Courts4Kids!! And am completely overwhelmed... The bid we have is in fact way too high. He sent me a packet with a ton of construction technicalities and ways to make it cheaper. Not only do I have no clue how to explain it all in English, I have to somehow find a way to effectively communicate it all in Spanish to Ramirez. Shit. I'm just terrified of any miscommunication that might ruin the opportunity. But I called the incredible Lula and Greg that live close by and are fluent to help! We're going to get together with Ramirez and they're going to help translate to minimize the miscommunications :). UPDATE! I received another email from a man named Zach who is now DR's Country Director for C4K. He was just a Peace Corps Volunteer that finished up last October! He, himself had a court built in his community and has helped with four other ones! He said he's moving back to the DR for his new position and would like to set up a time to come to my community and is here for whatever I need to make this all a reality! AHHHH. I FaceTimed my parents as soon as I could I was so excited! I'm not alone! (So many exclamation points in that paragraph!)

Today? Back to being thrown in a classroom... The teacher's son woke up sick so of course there's no time to find a substitute. This time, however, it was third grade-a first for me. A negative? I had no clue what they were learning or what they already knew. A positive? They are older and able to understand me better and a little bit more mature. And I have to say... It went pretty damn well. Did some dinĂ¡micas, read a story in the morning and after recess and they begged me for another (LOVE), played the chalkboard game with letters, practiced the vowels, spelling, and taught units, tens, and hundreds places. Aaaand then let them have "gym" the last fifteen minutes because they behaved so well (or let's just say, WAY better than my first and second graders). 
Ann called during the day. She was driving through the area and thought she'd stop by. We spoke with Natividad about the situation and she said if there's no substitute and I wasn't here, they'd send the kids home... I don't want that either... So I'm torn between my sanity and the education of these kids. But when Ann and I were able to talk alone she told me I'm being too hard on myself. That change here comes way too slow and that with everything I have going against me (which she said was way too much for any one volunteer), it's going to take longer. Be patient. Love myself. And know that every little thing I do counts. Love her.
She left and I decided to not go to the school in the afternoon. I don't usually do much and the director  headed home for a reunion. I also recieved a visit this morning from Francisco who is the director of the colegio (high school) in El Puerto. He wants me to come to visit tomorrow night. My plan was to move out tomorrow but I guess I can finish moving my stuff Sunday. He also wants me to help out there at his school. We'll have to see how my schedules turns out... 
I travelled back to the school to retrieve the key since the director won't be there next week and I'm the one who lives closest to open the school the earliest. They complained that I wasn't there cuz they were missing a teacher and had "deportes" so they could've used me. Is it bad that I didn't feel guilty and almost (or entirely...) relieved? I could've helped but for my sanity's sake, I'm good with it for now. They survived without me... 
I spent the rest of the night reading and joking around with my drunk host dad as he would return periodically to get more ice :)
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment