Monday, September 16, 2013

Why Do Habichuelas Take SO Long To Cook??

September 16, 2013. Woke around 5:30 to a rat eating something... I don't know how but he got in my cupboard and started eating through various bags I had up there (flour, pancake mix, etc). Looks like I've gotta put things in Tupperware. Which I have a limited amount of. So... Ikea anyone!? They have these awesome bigger containers with lids that I can use for food but also my school stuff like crayons, pencils, etc :D Oh damn ;) And there not that bad price wise and colorful!
I made an egg for breakfast and COFFEE! Which wasn't great but better! Yesssss. I headed out with a few new girls I have in my neighborhood who held my hands the whole walk over. And I did what I was supposed to do again today! Almost finished my evaluations though I feel quite overwhelmed by the number of students I feel I need to have in my pull-outs. Like my 6 kids in first grade that were held back. Or the munch who has three years in first grade before they finally just passed him cuz they quit trying. Or the 10 year old in first grade. Or the 13 year old in third grade (my brother is almost 8 and in third...) and can't read at all. Etc.
What I want is nearly impossible but how do I decide who will be in it and who won't? :/ The kids were so cute though. We weren't doing anything fun (evaluations, ew) but they would all come in at different times asking, "Is it my turn yet??" Or, "Can I do it again??" Haha
I booked it at noon with a herd of kiddos excited that I was now walking their way. And started cooking right away... First mistake: I started the rice and habichuelas at the same time (and way too much of both). Second mistake: Cooked the rice for too long. Third: had no idea habichuelas TAKE FOREVER TO COOK. I started right when I got home around 12:15pm and they weren't done by the time I had to leave for the afternoon tanda at 2pm. And I had not a single clue on what people put in it to give them flavor. So I made it up with random spices and sauces I had in the house.. Honestly though, I thought they tasted pretty damn good. I started them back up again when I got home at 5:30 and didn't finish until 7:30. That's just nuts. 
BUT! Dulce spoke with a neighbor of mine who apparently was best friends with Lucy when she still lived in this house. Around 1, I hear, "Oh! You're cooking!" And turn to see her standing in my doorway with a bowl of rice, beans, and pork. And said that whenever I want to visit, I'm always welcome. And Linda had brought me an avocado last night. So despite not eating what I had been cooking, I had an incredible lunch with my heart swelling with love ;) Dominicans are amazing.
At the school I did lots of random things since I really have no job to do in the afternoon. Made copies, wrote notes, broke up a fight which turned into a crazy hot mess with parents involved and lots of screaming...etc. The director isn't going to be there in the morning tomorrow so she said she told the kids not to come... I told her that made me feel awful because I want to help and it didn't feel right that they should miss out on a day of learning. She looked at me so seriously and goes, "Oh no, Julie. They're so difficult. You saw how I am with them right? They're not listening to me either. I'm struggling so there's no way it's fair for you." Goodness that made me feel better. 
Then the discussion about my lunch. I shared the whole habichuelas thing and how I didn't know they took so long. Oooooh man did they get a kick out of that! But now? Ramona is coming over tomorrow during the break to cook with me! And Nati the next day :D WIN. Apparently there's a way to soften the beans ahead of time and store them in the fridge for when I get home in the afternoon. I'm learning every minute of every day I tell ya.
Back at home, I made coffee (good coffee!), had about 10 kiddos drawing and coloring in my messy Sala de Tarea (ah, which now I'm giving English classes again for the 8th graders on Sundays at 2pm), finished up my habichuelas (for a grand total of a 4 hour cook time), made plans for tomorrow, and laid in my hammock some more. Moreno came to visit to see how I was doing (and also laughed at my habichuelas story) which was so wonderful. Linda stopped by too and because I was using both my pots (all that I've got!), she noticed that I couldn't cook my dinner (since I wanted to save my rice and beans for another day and have yucca). So she took my yucca to her house, boiled it and added an egg and avocado. So yet again, I was cooked for. Hahaha oh! And while I was still cooking, I heard something above me... Turns out the rat was back for more and early! I hit the side of the cupboard and he jumped out! Screaming and jumping up and down, I ran over to the chairs in my living room. Hoping up to keep my feet from touching the ground, Fredito and Luis just about busted a gut laughing at me. I eventually tried to go back in the kitchen but the damn thing then ran into the living room. Crawling over chairs to get across the room, I watched again as he scurried across the floor. To where, you ask? I have no idea... And still don't. Aaahhhhhh.
And now I have to finish my annual plan. Cuz it's due today and I forgot... 
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment