Friday, September 13, 2013

Un-Electrocuted and Ready to Run

September 13, 2013. Bueno. I swear every time I go to the capital it feels like I'm out of my site for weeks. But it's certainly always a good refresher. I opened the school up Wednesday morning and then headed out; quite proud of the fact that I fit all that I needed into my normal book bag so I wouldn't have to lug my hiking pack. I made it and found a package in my mailbox! My wonderful Grandma Judy sent me cookies (they're gone already Gram...), granola bars, workbooks for my kiddos, erasers (they're going to LOVE those), stickers, letter decals, and colored pencils! You're the best, Gram. Thank you so much. I finished looking through the box through teary eyes just in time for the first meeting about our regional Escojo Enseñar Conference coming up in October. There, we bring one director and one teacher from our schools and provide workshops where we can collaborate, share, teach, and motivate (hopefully!). Aaaand now I'm doing a talk with Cory and Laila about classroom management (which I couldn't do with my first graders? Hm...). And yes, in Spanish haha. 
After the meeting, Greg, Lula, Cory and I headed out to a sandwich place that was on the Food Network show, No Reservations. We had the "special" which had two types of meat, tons of melted cheese, and mayo all deliciously mushed and toasted. Top it off with ketchup and hot sauce and wash it down with a Morir Soñando (orange juice, evaporated milk, vanilla, and ice)? Sheer heaven. Then the juice guy made us all a special mixed fruit juice for free! Also heaven. We headed back and I went to a Yo Sé Leer meeting. This is the resource we have for teaching literacy which consists of a book of worksheets for the kiddos and in the making: a training manual for teaching local facilitators in order to have sustainability when it comes to effectively teaching literacy. Afterwards, I glued myself to a computer and busted out my VRF which is the formal, detailed way we tell Peace Corps what we've done in the last six months with what kind of successes. Luckily, I haven't done much so it wasn't so bad. But man when I do have stuff? It's gonna be a process...
Then a large group of us collaborated and decided to make Thai pasta (THANK YOU DALLAS) for dinner at Andrew's place. There was 10 of us. And his place isn't that big haha. But! We only had to travel an hour to his site (on a jam-packed guagua), staying there was free (unlike a hotel), and we all got to be together. AND Andrew has a sweet roof you can hang out on. And amazing American music that we blasted. And a pretty sweet personality and INCREDIBLE sense of humor (like seriously) which makes everything even better (it's all true Lobo and you know it so shut up). We were up until 2:30am, passed out where we were seated on his gorgeous but hard tile floor, and prayed that the cockroaches and millipedes wouldn't crawl up our clothes while we slept. Pancakes were made in the morning at 6:30am and we made our way out by 8ish. 
Back at the PC Office, we had more meetings (Quisqueya Aprende Contigo, National Escojo Enseñar Conference), I competed my ELF (which is my locator form that I had to update since I'm moving!), we went to the sandwich place again (such a fatty) this time bringing more people, and I got a green dress from the free box. Susan and I were the only ones staying at Andrew's again but it was amazing. We drank chocolate milk, played Plants v. Zombies, sat on his roof, had some good heart-to-hearts, and ate bread, cake, and chicken nuggets (what?).
Early morning back to the office for one last meeting. We are creating evaluation tools for the many many objectives that the education sector has. This way we have a consistent, standard assessment tools to use and provide the next education group that comes in March. Susan, James, and I went to McDonald's after for lunch (did I mention that I'm a fatty?)! They didn't have ranch (seriously so depressing) but the nuggets and fries were a whole new level of delicious that I cannot describe with mere words. I then worked for three hours on my annual plan. This was both good and bad. There are still so many unknowns, doubts, and possibly impossible desires in my site that I don't feel prepared or ready to make a detailed plan for this next year. It stressed me out as I started. But by putting my ideas down on paper, assigning dates, detailing them out, and brainstorming people to work beside me in my community, it gave me a better sense of my project. I feel more grounded. I can actually see, hey, yea I am doing something. I do have ideas. They do line up with the literacy project framework. I prioritized and postponed things that I've been wanting to do but know I don't have the time for right now. Etc. So more pros than cons for sure. I'm not done but I'll finish it Sunday and once I'm moved into my house I'll feel more organized and ready to fill up my schedule and get started working. I'm so ready to run. I also will briefly say that I have an idea for a traveling library (since we don't have one nor any building to put one) and literacy integration with the Courts4Kids team that comes but I'll wait until they're developed more before I share the details here :)
After three hours, I quit and packed up my things. Cory and I left for the Metro, parted ways, and I made a pit stop at Jumbo to grocery shop. After all, I should have the staples for when I move out! These included toilet paper, coffee, peanut butter, oil, tissues, salt, ketchup, pasta, hangers, dog food (!!), floor cleaner, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc. I also got a few unecessities but things that will make my life much easier: a thingy for my closet that are like hanging shelves to put pants and such (now to find something to hang that and my hangers on cuz I don't actually have a closet...), a mini non-stick frying pan, and more that I'm blanking on... Luckily I brought my giant Ikea bag to stuff all these little bags in but holy shit did it weight a ton. 
I made it to the carro público and the driver put my stuff in the trunk while going on and on about how much strength his American friend has. I told him I work out. Hahaha. The trip was...nearly flawless? The second carro headed to my site suddenly got a flat tire on the Duarte in the middle of an intense lightning storm. We had to get out so he could jack the car up and I watched above as bolts pierced the sky and came down pretty damn far around us. It was beautiful. 
But I made it home un-electrocuted, left my groceries in the bag on the last spot on my floor that had room, showered, ate, and typed this baby up. I'm exhausted. Tomorrow? One last day of laundry with a washing machine before I switch to hand-washing. Then: I'M OUT. Hopefully Fredito will stop by so he can take my mini fridge to my house on the back of his moto...
Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment