Sunday, September 22, 2013

Start With Pancakes and End Up On a Baseball Team!

September 22, 2013. So yesterday I said egg, salami, and avocado were a good way to start a day? Try hot chocolate, pancakes with a touch of vanilla, and Matilda on my iPad. Trumped it :D I then gave myself until 9am before opening my front door. And as soon as I did, I had a few girls and Linda come by. And then Charo who asked for coffee immediately lol.
But Linda and Charo soon left so I started hand washing my laundry. And what a process that was! But I did it and feel pretty damn proud. My burn on my arm started bleeding like crazy from the detergent though so I wrapped it up and carried on. I missed Dulce's washing machine quite a bit but more for the dryer than anything else. It wouldn't dry my clothes all the way but within the hour in the sun, everything was done. Now, it takes a few hours to dry. Not terrible, just missed being spoiled :P
Afterwards, I started planning for my English class (finally!). Around 1:30pm I finished, kicked the artists out of my house so I could cook, and made a pretty shitty lunch. But still edible. At 2, the girls returned and we played Dominoes and cards until 3. Class was scheduled for 2 and it wasn't until 3 that a group showed up. And another at 3:05. I could have given the class but I needed them to understand. So I asked what happened and why they were an hour late. "What time is it?" They asked. I said it was 3 and that class was at 2. I told them I was sorry but I had plans at 3 and couldn't give class then. And that when I say a time, I mean that time exactly because my schedule is packed and don't have time to waste. I felt super guilty but I need them to learn... They can't be Dominican with me lol Hopefully this didn't scare them away but rather makes them come on time next week...
I showered (it was so freaking hot) and headed to see Dulce. She wasn't there so I went to talk with Ramirez. Zach isn't coming until next Monday because he'll be in the south visiting five other volunteers applying for the Courts4Kids project. Apparently there's 8/9 applicants right now and they can only do 5/6 each cycle... I'm nervous because I really want ours to happen this cycle :/ Anyways, I needed to tell Ramirez about the postponement of the meeting but he wasn't there either. 
I almost turned to go home but thought I'd stop by and see Manuela. I chatted with her and her daughter for almost 2 hours. And found out there's no school Tuesday. Woo! There was a softball game going on with the women in my community and a women's team from KM56 so I went to watch.  I sat with Linda and met a girl my age who wants private English classes. I agreed to do it because she seems very committed and already knows quite a bit. We were talking about the game and exercising and I found out she runs every day during the week at 6pm and does core workouts. I got super excited and asked her if I could join. She said yes! WIN. 
Linda then turns to me and goes, "Julie, you're going to play ball with us." And within seconds, the coach came over and welcomed me to the team! He wants to put a new team together with women that are a bit more serious and Linda and I are going to join! I have no idea if I have the time but I'm so pumped!! 
My community won the game (:D) and Linda and I sat at a colmado for a while. We then headed back, she cooked me dinner, and brought it to me while I FaceTimed with my family :) Had a bunch of kids watching and there was lots of going back and forth between Spanish with them and English with my family haha. But the vocal switch of languages has become easier and faster and that was fun to realize. I felt terrible for my family cuz it's chaotic but they were troopers :D 
And now I need to plan for tomorrow. And shower. And go to bed. And it's already 11pm. Whoops! Haha
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment