Monday, September 23, 2013

It Was Time to Run

September 23, 2013. Today I evaluated a few first graders. Then got thrown into teaching first grade for an hour. And was hit in the ass by a five year old girl. Go me. When class let out, Ramona and I tried to create a better intervention plan with Mavel and I. It was unsuccessful. Here is my letter to my boss to gather her opinion:

"In doing my evaluations for the entire school (1st-4th), my conclusions were grim (but that's why we're here!). The majority of my second and third graders know one, maybe two syllables, first grade consists of a few who got held back and many who didn't come last year for preschool. And I've got 4 in fourth grade who need reinforcement terribly. In my ideal situation, I would have two groups in each grade from 1st-3rd and have some time to work with the 4 kiddos in fourth grade individually (because their needs are completely different). But I simply don't have the time.
Now Mavel is the teacher that lives in my community and is being sent by AMCHAM to work in the school-one hour each grade in literacy and math. There is this game that they are focusing on (by Pro-Leader) and she will start after the talleres in the capital (Francisca and I are going as well but a different week). At first, Natividad had a plan to put Mavel in each grade for an hour so that the teacher could leave for that hour. I spoke with her about the idea of "co-teaching and co-planning" and how that would benefit the students (especially in first grade with the many many different levels that exist). She agreed that it would bea better idea to have the teachers stay in the classroom so more individual support could be provided. Okay, win 1.
Ramona and I then talked about how much work I have with little time. And how Mavel and I are here together to provide support for nearly the same thing. Why should we work completely parallel from each other and not support each other as well? To make our lives easier AND benefit the little ones more too?  When Juana (AMCHAM) came to this school before I arrived, she asked Ramona what the school needed. And Ramona said, reinforcement in first grade; that is where the problem lies. So as she and I talked, we thought, why not put Mavel in first grade the majority of the time? For example, all day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday; and Thursday and Friday she could work in the rest, one hour each grade. This would then alleviate the intense needs in first grade and will provide the support and change needed for future generations (sustainability!). I could then focus solely on second, third, and fourth grade to help those that are behind and would stay behind without extra help. (I hope this is making sense-There's a lot of components here). 
So we talked with Natividad. And it didn't go over well. She's stuck on Mavel being in all grades, one hour each. She said it's the program that AMCHAM sent her for and that's that. But I don't understand that. Every school has it's specific needs, it's varying challenges. Why would there be only one program that isn't flexible to the necessities of the school? I tried to teach the munchkins in first grade. Natividad is doing it now and even she is struggling. It's so hard when there are those that are older because they were held back. Those that have never been to school before and can't hold their pencil correctly. And those in the middle who are basically on track. Mavel and I are resources to combat all of this but we need an intervention plan. And the one set FOR us and not WITH us doesn't seem to fit. 
Let me know if this all makes sense (well, my explanation of the situation, anyways haha) and what you think? I'm just at a loss and agree with what Ramona is saying. But we've hit a wall with Natividad and it's frustrating because we have the support!  Just not the most effective plan (in my opinion)."

Within minutes Ann responded and says she agrees with my perspective but also understands that Natividad's hands may be tied by AMCHAM. But, she said she'd be willing to message Juana and talk with her about the situation if I get permission from Natividad. So since we don't have school Tuesday, I'll ask Wednesday.
I went home and ate the rest of the crappy lunch I had made yesterday while watching Bridesmaids :) Afterwards, I went to the school to ask the eighth graders if they were serious about learning and that I was sorry I didn't make it clear enough that they needed to be ON TIME ahead of time. But they still want it! :) I returned home and tried to nap. I was unsuccessful with the thousands of things running through my head so I got up and played cards with a few munchkins. 
It wasn't a horrible day, just slow moving and that's somehow exhausting. I was feeling defeated but at 6pm, I went abajo to run with Mirian (the girl I met yesterday) but she wasn't there. And there were guys playing baseball. But! I ran anyways. A few kids would join me, quit, and join me again later. We raced. They quit again. I kept going haha. I then went to buy yucca but there was none. So cold water bottle in hand (seriously, I cannot tell you how good cold water is when I finally get it. I can't drink it fast enough and then I get a headache...), I ran home and did some core stuff with Pamela watching from the spare bed. It felt so good to run again. Despite the comments, the reality of being out of shape, and more comments ("Oh well at least I know you'll last in bed with me!" Yup.), I was flying high. The day was a rough one but man, I ran and my worries and doubts just passed through my pores with the sweat (ew). 
Pamela and I then sat outside and ate chinas together. I showered and started making dinner when BAM, commence group of kiddos drawing, painting, cutting, gluing, and being super creative. I've noticed that as more time goes by, they have branched from copying each others drawings to doing other original things. Again, it was chaotic but I just stood at my counter drinking my hot chocolate and grinned from ear to ear. My heart swelled and I loved every minute of it. And didn't kick them out until 8:45pm this time! Also got a huge sugar cane brought and munched on that before turning in :D Hopefully cuz it's natural sugar, it won't kill my teeth? 
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment