Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Making a Day Off Count

September 24, 2013. Today was a day off! And I made it count in many ways. First, this morning in my bed :) I awoke around 7:30am to my kiddos playing in the field outside my house but didn't get out of bed until 9:30am haha. I slowly made breakfast, washed my dishes, got dressed and eventually opened my door at 10:30. To which I heard comments all day like, "Man, Julie, you sleep a lot!" Haha I explained that I was awake early, not sleeping, and was just doing things. I'm just a weird American who doesn't open her door immediately upon arising from the bed.
They started drawing and I mapped out my schedule (eliminating the first graders...) and made plans for my first day of pull-outs--tomorrow! At noon, I kicked them out so I could cook and not feel embarrassed. Another lousy meal made, I ate and watched the rest of Bridesmaids on "my" couch. Hung out with some more munchkins until 2:30 and went to go see Dulce! It had been way too long. Buuuut she was sleeping lol. I let her be, bought some sugar, made coffee, and ate more sugar cane, sharing it with six others. At 4, I checked with Linda who said she was gonna run with me today, "Sí Dios quiere."  So I tried to see Dulce again until 6 and was successful! She was there! And Moreno too. She was cooking (and of course fed me too) and Moreno and I talked A TON on the porch together. He said he's been wanting to visit me but gets home so tired (he seriously doesn't have a single day off-even today). It felt so great to be able to do that and Lordy do I miss them. I made sure I told them that too lol. He told me to make sure I always had a few minutes if I ever needed to call them, even if that was in the middle of the night. They're always there for me :). Ugh. Love.
And another sugar cane in hand, I headed home to change.
Me (to Linda at her house down the road as I'm opening my door): "LINDA!! VAMOS!!"
Linda: "It's almost 7!"
Me (looking at my phone, knowing it wasn't): "It's 6! VAMOS!"
Linda: "I'm cooking dinner!"
Me: "But I said 6 and you said yes!"
Linda: "Tomorrow! Si Dios quiere!"
Me (to myself): sigh... "I know what that means."

So little Pamela and I headed down by ourselves. And it ended up being AWESOME. She ran with me and got tired after one lap. So we'd walk, run back, walk, run back, etc. Slowly more and more kids showed up and would walk, we'd race back, walk, race back. They would cheat and start running early. Or not walk as far as I would before turning around haha. It was so funny. Then about 15 more showed up and a game of tag was started. Which turned into freeze tag. And then the tag where when you tag someone, they tag people too and it adds up. SO FUN. and exhausting. I was sweating so much and I finally wasn't embarrassed despite all the comments! Cuz Lord knows, I can't do anything about it or hide it so whatever! Lol finally I got too tired, bought yucca and avocado and water and headed home with Pamela. On the walk back, Antonio handed me something wrapped in a napkin. It was a huge pork rind, Dad!! And legit! Not like the airy stuff we would buy at the stores! It was so good! You better come visit so you can have some-I'll make sure they make it when you're here :D Though you'll never wanna go back to the processed stuff ;) I shared it with two little ones and made it back to no luz. Damn. But I showered, made yucca, and hung out in my dark house until 10pm. Now I guess it's time for bed. A good day off indeed. Tomorrow, I promised them more tag and I can't wait! I'll probably need it after working in both schools :P
Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. Two truths and a lie:

    Everyday is an opportunity for a day off in CED!

    I wish I were an education volunteer.

    All volunteers are made equal.

    ReplyDelete