Friday, September 20, 2013

Why I Am Here.

September 19, 2013.  And as much as the day was crazy (which I now know will be my norm), it was filled with so many moments that made me pause and think, "Yes! This is why I'm here!" So many that I hoped for before I arrived to this country and so many that I never even thought about until they happened. Let's recap, shall we?
I woke up in the morning (woo!) and made myself coffee and ate avocado for breakfast. When I got to the school, I was put to work doing random things for the director. While that's not exactly my job, if I helped make her life easier for a day, I'm happy ("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). After all, she's the director AND the first grade teacher, which is rough. I also did lots of planning for my groups. And scooped up little Yessica and rocked her in my arms as she sobbed when the pain in her leg returned ("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). I cleaned it up once she settled and bandaged it. The director from El Puerto then stopped by to confirm plans for my visit tomorrow since he lost his phone. Even something as simple as that makes me so happy. A Dominican that has ideas, seeks the help he needs, makes plans, and follows through? A rarity. And I don't want to let that slip away because that's how you bring about change; with people like him ("Yes! This is why I'm here!").
Ramona came yet again in the afternoon to cook with me. We cooked, washed my dishes in my shower, sang, danced in the kitchen, and talk about life ("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). I feel so much closer to her and feel like I can be myself with her. She's real with me and doesn't hold back because I'm not Dominican or because my Spanish isn't that great. We then left a bit early because I wanted to talk to Nati before heading to El Batey. She signed my vacation form that says leaving will not harm the progress of my project (lol). She gave me permission to use the school for my adult English classes. We set a date and time to have the meeting with Zach from Courts4Kids (and Ramirez and the contractor will be there too!)("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). I then tried to explain the plan that Ramona, Mavel and I talked about yesterday. She agreed that leaving the teachers in the classroom with Mavel would be better (okay, one win!). But she wouldn't let Mavel just take first grade so she could provide the much-needed support there and I could provide more help in second, third, and fourth... Damn. 
I headed to El Batey, sweating out everything I ate for lunch ("Yes! This is why I'm here?" Lol). And Elva was there?? Yup. Crazy. Three kiddos showed up at 2. Not all I have for first grade but Lordy me was it 100X better! We actually accomplished nearly all my plans! And had fun together ("Yes! This is why I'm here!")instead of having me just yelling over them and physically moving them or breaking them apart... And two of the teachers came in and started thumbing through all of my materials, got really excited, and asked for copies. So hey, even if I can't do charlas with them, they might have some better teaching methods (besides just copying the board) because they saw my stuff ("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). Then the next set of kiddos showed up. There were about 7, and it was crazy but not too terrible. Of course, during recess, the director started dancing in ways that the young girls do to a very popular, inappropriate song so I lost them for a bit there. BUT. The kid who I tried to send home yesterday, behaved the best out of all of them. And the one who's house I went to, was 75% better today (not exactly why I'm here but now I can get to that point with them-and I didn't have to hit them to make them listen! Which I've learned now that those teachers do... Nati says they get it enough at home and would never allow that in her school so I was hoping it was the same in El Batey. I was dreaming).
I walked home with Manuela who confirmed that next week will start the first cycle in the morning-YES. I then saw the pastor and he said I could visit tomorrow in the afternoon so I can talk to him about his adult literacy class and how I can help :D ("Yes! This is why I'm here!"). Oh, and he wasn't mad at me! I was afraid because it had been so long, he would be. I also want to invite him to the Courts4Kids meeting with Zach because he's super excited about it too.
When I got home, only a few minutes passed by before I had about 15 kids in my Sala de Tarea. They were coloring, drawing, cutting, pasting, laughing, singing, and making an absolute mess. A few parents stopped by, laughed and commented on my patience and how crazy I am. One mother went to go fetch her son after seeing it all and getting excited. It was a blast: loud, messy, chaotic, and fun. These kids don't have the opportunity to do things creative and they were here, in my house, not fighting with each other (if they started, I told them they had to leave-ABSOLUTELY NO FIGHTING IS ALLOWED IN MY HOUSE). ("Yes! This is why I'm here!")
I also have this little 2, maybe 3 year old at my house nearly everyday. He's Haitian and perked up only when Fredito talked in Creole. But never talked to me. Today, I fed him the little rice that was left over from lunch and he ate it up quick. After that, I couldn't get him to leave my side. Then he was drawing in my lap and making grunting noises every second to make me look at what he had done. I would tell him a color, and he'd repeat it. His almost black eyes sparkled and he finally started smiling with me!  ("Yes! This is why I'm here!") I swear, my heart melted into a puddle in my stomach... Then that night, I made myself tostones (and was successful!) and gave him some; along with another boy who was here that I know has a difficult home situation... Though I was told to be careful with him because he will rob me blind in seconds if I don't pay attention when he's in my house :/
But man was it a full and satisfying day. Things are looking up. Still so far left to go but I can sleep soundly tonight. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment