Friday, April 19, 2013

A Detachable Ass

April 16, 2013. Woo! We did it! The kids were great but it's interesting to see their levels. They enjoyed the paper that shared who they were. A boy in the second group refused to finish up in the time given because he loves to draw haha. I was okay with that. We then practiced the letters in their names and the sounds. They got a kick out of the goofy dances I did with the letter sounds. We then played a game where we split the group up into two teams and they raced to put the alphabet in order with the fichas we had. The first group caught on that there was an alphabet on the wall, damn. Haha I covered it up for the next group. In each group there was a student that definitely seemed a bit more behind the rest. I think for Thursday we're going to set up our lesson so that one of us works with 3 students while the other is with 1 and we'll rotate. That way, we can get some one on one time with them and hide the fact that one might need more help than the others. The kids loved our funny applauses and our dínamica so we definitely need to keep doing those. I'm pretty happy right now about this. Granted, I still want to be there more because I know our time there is not enough to really make a difference. But it went really well today despite that fact and it was the first real day working with them! They enjoyed the hands-on part big time and I have a general idea of a few things that each student needs. Ugh. I could go on but I'll end here. I just can't wait to be in my site so I can start doing these things. I was told I'll be able to do teacher training AND pull-outs with students so I'm so pumped for that. I'll get to have my own mini classroom, even if it's in my house haha. Aaahhhhhh cannnnooootttt waaaaiiitttt. So impatient. And the fact that we still don't know where we're going to be for the next two years of our life, who we will be near and what kind of work we'll be doing? Aye! Peace Corps really trains you to be patient! Wish it was working... ;).
At lunch, Jerson played with my fichas. He totally loved spelling words (like the names of people in his family and other cosas) and was good at it! I am quite confused though since they apparently go to the same school that I work at. But I swear the last time I asked where they lived they said in the capital haha. Damn language barriers.
So then speaking of our placements... In Spanish, we each had an interview with Ann, our Placement Director! Soooo! I'll be working with the NGO, American Chamber of Commerce (need to do some research!). They've wanted an experienced volunteer for this project but it hasn't worked out yet so she's excited for me. Apparently their project needs help? haha At first, I will be working solely in my community but then I will be able to work in schools in the zones around me with the NGO (!!!). Perfection. I won't be near other volunteers like mostly everyone else but I also won't be more than an hour and a half away from a bigger area (como un ciudad). I cannot tell you how amazing that all sounds for many varying reasons. I'm struggling to contain my excitement but I must since I don't know where it is yet, I'm not leaving yet, and there's always the possibility that it'll change.
Phew! Afterwards, I ran a lot around the outside of the play. The terrain was a bit rough but it was beautiful. I didn't play volleyball but that was okay because the group was not ideal today. I went home, showered, ate dinner, and headed out with Raini to the house of a teacher that wants to share her wifi with us volunteers. She had been a host family in previous years but she works both tandas (morning and afternoon sessions in school) this year so she couldn't. We literally can go whenever we want and sit in her gallery and use her internet. :D So I got the password and am going to pass it out tomorrow!
Samuel's birthday party followed! It was a mix of us and Dominicans and it was a ton of fun. I totally drank straight chocolate milk and am damn proud of it. Oh, and have I mentioned that Dominicans can dance? Like seriously, it's as if their ass is detached from the rest of their body and they can do whatever they want with it. I want my ass to be detachable. Is that horrible to say? Sorry family back home... but it's incredible. Haha I'm feelin good. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment