Saturday, April 13, 2013

I Will Never Be That Far Away

April 7, 2013. "Algo diferente para desayuno." ("Something different for breakfast.") Was what my host mother said to me this morning as I sat down. I lifted the upside-down plate slowly and un poco nervously and... Eggs!! Hahaha sooo different :D. Yum!
This morning was a bit boring. A lot of my host mom's kids (I think that's who they are. About my age and up) were here. They moved in and out of the bedrooms, talked really fast, didn't talk to me, and... Yea. So I escaped to my room and worked on the PowerPoint for tomorrow. I literally stayed there until lunch time (Oops?) lol. More delicious food and then I stayed in the living room and watched TV with the munchkins.
At 2, I headed to Maegan's and we scripted our speeches. We finished a bit early so I headed home before meeting with our Spanish teacher. As I watched more TV, the older ones came back and again, I was a bit overwhelmed and ignored so I went into my room. About twenty minutes later, the little girl called out my name. I emerged from my sanctuary and she was alone. She asked, "Are you afraid when the adults are around? Because you go in your room when they're all here." Haha busted. I said, "No, I'm not afraid but It's just difficult for me because I don't know much Spanish." She just smiled and led me to a chair, holding onto my arm. What a sweetheart. We talked a bit, I may have pretended to understand more than I did but I think it went okay. She has a bit of a lisp which made it a little bit more difficult. And her brother kept talking with his mouth full of white rice haha. Eventually I had to leave but we met with David, he corrected our PowerPoint, and I headed home again. The kids had gotten picked up :( but I think they may be back next weekend :). I struggled a lot communicating with them but that makes me want to be with them even more...
Dinner was mashed potatoes and some kind of awesome meat and onions. Loving these onions, seriously. Shortly after I got phone calls from my big brother AND my family. Goodness it meant the world that Matthew called :). Then while I was waiting for my parents to call, se fue la luz. The streets went completely black and for the first time since I've been here, I was able to see all the stars. And oh there were so many! It took me back to The Land with my family and being able to see more stars than I thought was possible. So while I feel such a disconnect from home, it was loosing luz and the stars making their appearance known that reminded me of the obvious: though the distance may be great, we still lie under the same sky. I will never really be that far away.
My host mom joined me on the porch and we talked about how beautiful it was out there. She then mentioned that a plane crashed in the Malecón today and two people died. The pilots were apparently young, 25 and 27 years old. She went on and on about how they were too young and that pilots need to be older with more experience and a better head on their shoulders...
And then, just as la luz returned, my phone rang! We laughed together about the timing and she left me to chat. Gosh I love Sundays; knowing I'll hear from my family :). And I didn't cry this time! Oh! And I did get to talk to my munchkin earlier! He got to spend the weekend with Grandma Judy (jealous!) so that mom and dad could have "quality time together" (which apparently he made up on his own hahaha). Not too exciting of a day, but a perfect end to the night and a perfect start to a new week. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment