Saturday, April 13, 2013

So In Love with My Man ;)

April 10, 2913. MY BABY GOT A JOB!!! Ah!! That's totally not the first thing that happened today but I just got off the phone and I'm SOOOO HAPPY! And proud! And excited! Haha Ugh. Nate, though we are apart right now, please know that in spirit I'm celebrating right alongside you. If I were there, we'd be out for a drink and I'd be kissing you like crazy! You're going to be great because you absolutely deserve this. Show them all you've got and you'll soar. And... Put some money aside each month so you can come visit me at some point ;).
Okay... I'll try and focus now. I learned the word for honey this morning! Though I've already forgotten it... My host mother gave me fruit and a bottle of something, said the word, and just told me to drizzle it on my fruit. Her son explained something about an insect, that goes to flowers, and does stuff and then spreads stuff, and I said, "¡Oh! ¿Amarillo y negro?" (yellow and black). And he said yes! Thus: Bee and then honey. Duh. Such a process simple things can be.
At training, we did our presentations of our story. I was a goat that was mean, ready to fight and here in the DR, similar to a Tiguere (como un gangster in the states). So I wore my long sleeve hoodie, a bandana, and my sunglasses for our skit. It was such a blast! And the other presentations were hilarious too! We then shared our activities that we created for various concepts of literacy and with limited resources so to practice for the reality that is the next two years. Those turned out amazing too! This bunch is ridiculously talented (see pictures below!). We then had to switch to learning about a standardized test... Yay. Luckily we don't have to use it but it's for us, if we want it, when we go to our sites. The problem I have is that we are wasting a day at the schools tomorrow practicing this assessment with a child. I know that the director's expectations are too high but we can at least try and help a little more. With only 10 days actually there, why are we spending it proctoring a test that's pretty self explanatory? Aye, anyways.
On the walk home, the rains had brought a lot of water to that spot by my Doña's house. And... I've decided to build a bridge. It rained much more during volleyball and I almost couldn't cross it at all. And Cory nearly fell slipping in the mud when she had to jump the gap. So yea. I prepared a bunch of questions to ask my Doña about how high it can get, why no one has tried to build one yet and what she thinks in general about me building one. Now don't be impressed.. I have no money so all I'm going to do is find thicker branches, buy nails, place a bunch in a row and nail them to 3 perpendicular branches. I don't know if that makes sense in written word but it does in my head lol. I'll also have to dig a bit so I can bury each end into the ground so it hopefully won't move when the water rises. I also worry about it being slippery when wet but I feel like it can't be worse than complete puddles or mud. But I could be wrong. I asked Keegan & Caitlin to talk to their Doña about it and I'm going to talk to the neighbor too and see if they think it's possible. I may or may not have gotten my heart set already though so hopefully I'll be able to.
But moving on for now! Spanish was fine, we had to scream at each other to be heard when it started to pour on the zinc roof but we managed. Volleyball sucked. A lot of ego and attitude that was evident in the guys outside of the words they were saying (since I didn't understand most of it anyways). But I wasn't a fan. The one guy that's been an absolute sweetheart and totally patient with us even quit playing with them and started passing the ball around with a bunch of us volunteers instead. I hope it's not going to continue like this. Then I'll have to solely run laps and do stairs and push-ups and core work. I don't mind that stuff but it's even better when I get to reward myself with volleyball after haha. Crossing my fingers for that one!
At home I had chicken and potatoes but then she gave me at mushy, white, sweet stuff. Love it. Her youngest son is here now with his wife and daughter. The little one is 7 years old (like you, munchkin!) and tried to talk to me a lot. Such a cutie. She also, I guess, really had to go to the bathroom because she walked in on me showering... And I didn't have the curtain completely closed because it's too dark that way. So yup, that poor girl saw me naked. But when I closed the curtain quick, I peeked out to say hello and she was just smiling and proceeding to pull her pants down to go. Wasn't phased, thank goodness. But aye Dios mio that was funny.
I worked on some homework, Nate called (did I mention that he has a job?????), I missed 3 calls from someone (Jen, if that was you, I'm SO sorry!), and now I'm off to bed :). Buenas noches.






No comments:

Post a Comment