Friday, April 19, 2013

This Crazy Fast-Changing World

April 17, 2013. So last night I had a baseball dream (first sign of becoming a Dominican?!?). There were tons of people of all ages playing and watching. My team was up to bat and it was my turn. But the pitcher wouldn't pitch for me because he didn't want me to hit a home run. He threw it behind my back (somehow still curving into the catcher's glove) the first time so I walked. I remember being pissed about that lol. The next time I was up to bat, he threw it right and I got a home run, running all the bases through a maze of houses (?). I woke up and had no idea where I was. I felt as if there was snow outside, and totally thought I was late for work! What?? Haha and TONIGHT is Malaria Miercoles, not last night!
What a way to start the day! And a day I was pumped for! We left at 8:30 this morning and headed out on a bus to a hotel about 20 minutes away for training. And who was there?? Our long lost CED group! Ah! It was so good to see all of them again! Another strange feeling was feeling that CBT has flown by thus far but then when I saw their faces, it felt like I hadn't seen them in years hahaha. We mingled and chatted and it took a long time to get us going into training. And what a joy training was. We had our second sexual assault class, a bystander class, an STI class, alcoholism, and first aid. It was a rough day. I may or may not have come close to throwing a punch... At a face... A real person's face...But! I also was in a skit and got to say (with a hat on backwards), "Man, I can't WAIT to tap that ass!" In front of my teachers and Jennifer, my training director. But it's okay cuz Washington sent the skit scripts, I didn't make it up ;). And after, we got to hang out for 2 hours and go swimming in a pool at the hotel! And drink chocolate milk! Ugh, so wonderful. And quite interesting to see what they've been up to. Their group sounds much more "exciting" than ours haha. It actually was really hard to say goodbye.. Two hours was not enough for sure but we think we'll be getting together one more time before CBT ends. I have to say, going out into our community (though I'm still super excited for it!) will be a lot more difficult than I realized. These people have become family here and we will have seen each other everyday (at least in the education group) for three months. And have talked about things that normal friends in the states wouldn't have discussed this early (bowel movements, past horrors, deep-rooted emotions, etc). And then just like that we are going to be thrown into a community where it will only be Dominicans. No more being able to have a sanity check and talk in English with a friend, no more collaborating for daily projects, no more running and doing crunches with a group... Phew, what a crazy fast-changing world we're living in...
We got back to Monte Plata around 7:15pm and my host mom went on about how I said I'd be home in the afternoon and leaving around 2pm so she had made me lunch. Now that would be a normal day yes... But I definitely explained yesterday that I had class all day today and that I wouldn't be home for lunch. So... Yay language! I probably said something funny that got misconstrued. She was fine, I think, and left me to go to church with six plates at the table for dinner. It was kind of nice being alone for a bit. I ate, worked on materials for our pull-outs tomorrow (although we have no set plan still...), watched some novellas, and got attacked by ants! Like, a lot.
After, I went to shower. When I was done, I opened the curtain and a huge cockroach was on the wall. I grabbed my towel, wrapped myself up, ran out to my room, and brought my camera back in to take a picture for my munchkin. After slowly opening the curtains as my heart raced like crazy and I held my breath, I realized it was gone. Defeated but possibly also relieved, I put my camera back, got dressed and went back in to brush my teeth. This time I went through the curtains at a normal pace and what was on the wall just above the sink? The damn cockroach. I may have let out a little squeal with a hop backwards but I tried yet again to grab my camera (you better know how much I love you, little man!). As soon as I headed back, however, my Doña came home and I pretended to be doing nothing. Now I'm in bed with un-brushed teeth and okay with it :). Buenas noches!






No comments:

Post a Comment