Sunday, April 28, 2013

An Unexpected Guest

April 28, 2013. Woo! I emerged and my Doña wasn't upset! I met a few new people, she laughed at me when I said yes, I had been sleeping that whole time, and asked if I wanted bread and coffee. Yessss!
Can I just say that I hate how close the words for beer and cherry are. Cerveza vs cereza. Por que one of my Doña's daughters popped in and asked if I wanted a cerveza. I think. To which I said no due to my physical state still at that point ;P But. She could have said cereza as in cherry juice and if I turned that down, I'd be pissed haha.
I was in my room all morning but that's okay. I need to keep studying my Spanish and there was an overwhelming amount of people here visiting today. But as I was listening to the insanity outside, Uncle John decided to join me here. I thought about how crazy our family is when we get together and how despite not taking part, or understanding much of anything outside my room, I felt like I was at home here with this craziness. It was as if we were having a family reunion at Grandma's house with beer, wine, food, love, games, laughter, and yelling. We would have shown up late. The boys and Emma would already be there waiting and Jonny would have texted one of us or called asking where we were. Uncle John's laughter would boom from the back room and there, we would sit together, drink, eat, talk, and play Golf. Grandma would play with intensity but also get up to wash dishes or answer the phone the entire time, two people would get blocks in one round, Mom would get pissed anytime she gave Dad an Ace or King, Sam would sneak sips of my alcoholic beverage, and Jake would be on Uncle John's lap. I'm not sure why I felt him here but I did. And as I let myself drown in that memory, a ukulele (sp?) started playing on the TV in the living room. And though it wasn't, it sounded like that Hawaiian song that was originally in his slide show for his wake... Only proving to me that the feeling of his presence was in fact, him. I love you, Uncle John. I hope I'm making you proud here thus far. Keep looking out for me? Help from above is always appreciated. I miss you everyday.
I ate lunch, headed to the Internet house and wasn't able to post much because it was too slow. I'll probably go back some time this week since we leave Monte Plata this Saturday ( !!! D: ). But! Susan was able to put movies on my iPad so I now have Bridesmaids, Twister, Matilda, and Goldfinger. Win! That's like a perfect mix of movies and I'm going to be watching them a TON in the next two years haha. Bridesmaids for when I need to laugh until I have to pee. Twister for when I need an adrenaline shot. Matilda for when I need to believe in myself a little more. And Goldfinger for when I need to get pumped up! And I already started with Bridesmaids tonight :). I got home and my Doña's family was still all here and outside. I feel like I should have tried to interact but I couldn't muster up the courage... I just have to remind myself that it's okay and that when I get to my community it'll be different and that's where it will matter. I care a lot about my Doña here but I'm trying not to stress myself out trying to be perfect... I only had 5 weeks here with a limited level of Spanish and I will have 2 years somewhere else with fluency (eventually). Okay, there was my rant out loud (posted publicly) to try and convince myself that being in my room all day was fine haha. These are the times when I miss being able to get a pep talk from family or friends so I make due in my own head :P
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment