Thursday, May 2, 2013

When Month-Old Cookies Save Your Life

April 24, 2013. Today our session was on working with our Project Partners (or Key Community Contacts). When we get to our site, there has been one person selected by Peace Corps that is motivated and wants to help. This will be our go-to person because the reality is, we are American and they know way more about their community than we will. Plus, they will be there long after we're gone so they will be the sustainability secret. I've heard horror stories about them but I've also heard wonderful things about that relationship. ¡Vamos a ver! Oh! And random, but I got jewelry today! The volunteer that came to talk to us is friends with a single mother who makes jewelry. I'm soooo happy I finally have some. And the matching set is made out of coffee beans! It smells amazing :) And I just loved the pop of green in the other.
After, we started buying supplies and painting our wall! See below! (Side note 1: Back sweat is considered super sexy here. So there. (Side note 2: Side note 1 is a total lie.)). Except now we're having internal issues with the group on what we are doing. Some teachers came up to us after and asked if we could paint the entire wall because they all look so dirty and some have writing on them from the students. We said we only have time and money for this wall and they said have paint... I'd love to do more but now... Do we scrap our idea and just paint their walls? Do we do just part of our idea? Which part? Others are trying to do a bit much while others don't agree. Ugh. Tomorrow we will reconvene and decide. It's just frustrating because it isn't like this is our community for the next two years... But I still care.
Lunch followed with something else I didn't like. Can't even begin to describe to you what it was. Oh and dinner? I almost threw up... Wish I could understand Spanish just to know what I just tried to bite. Anyways, I laid down to nap but Donkey wouldn't shut up today lol. So Spanish followed, we learned a few more practical tenses, and finished early since Maegan had her presentation.
Sarah and I walked to the Multi Uso and did a few laps. I then wanted to do some stairs inside but there was a bit of an annoyance so I stopped and walked outside with a few friends. We listened to Bruno Mars' "Grenade" and Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" and I had to translate ("Yo saltaría enfrente de un tren para tí" <--- my attempt at translating, "I'd jump in front of a train for you")! Haha what a disaster. Amber came and we all ran more and then did a bunch of things inside. Misael took us to his neighborhood where he grew up and lent me a shirt to wear tomorrow when we paint haha. But it's a turtleneck and I'll probably die :P
Dinner was waiting for me when I got back so after realizing I probably would lose everything I ate today if I kept trying, I chugged my juice and ate some of my grandma's cookies (you saved my life, Gram!). I showered, listened to music, and headed to bed before my Doña got home. I'm sleepy. Buenas noches.
Addition: My host mom came in and woke me to ask why I didn't eat dinner. Did I like it? Am I sick? What happened? Am I not hungry? I would tell her if I was hungry, right? And am I made at her? Haha too cute. I felt bad but there's was no possible way I could force myself to eat whatever it was...













No comments:

Post a Comment