Thursday, May 30, 2013

Va a Llover (yet again)

May 23, 2013. Today I had some weird soupy thing for breakfast that was good but literally had the sticky texture of mucous lol. Mmmm. I observed some more and it was much more tranquilo. Still not great and a lesson she did was pretty good but not managed well. She had the kids write their own story (not copying!) and then draw a picture (creativity!). I wrote one too and it was about my little brother :). They caught on that he was real and my brother when I talked about this boy's sister who lives in the DR :P The teacher also talked to me a bit during recess about what she thinks they need in the school and that she is glad I am there. It was nice to converse a little though I think my Spanish has gone back a level since training. Wonder if that's normal since I don't have a structured language class anymore...
Lunch was me alone and I didn't mind. Dulce was in Villa again shopping lol. Mayelin and Samuel came over and we did puzzles, played cards, and read books. At 2, I headed back to the school. The teachers talked in the office for a long time and my man was brought up yet again lol They just can't wait for you to come visit, babe! :P. Finally, we headed to class, suffered through copying and waiting and boredom until 4 when "Va a llover" (it's going to rain) so we let out early again. I studied on the porch while it poured for a bit. 
Then at 5:30, I made my brave move! I went to visit Manuela por abajo :D. It was awkward at times but she forced me to talk, which is exactly what I need. She, like everyone else, doesn't understand why I would leave my family and do something like this. I had a hell of a time trying to explain still and though she doesn't have much more of an idea afterwards, she let it go. We talked about our families, my boyfriend, food that's different in the states, the school system differences, and lack of parental involvement here. She gave me milk and whole grain crackers lol. Her house is absolutely gorgeous. And believe it or not, she had offered her home to me when Ann came to scope this site out for my placement. But Ann said no since she she wanted to me to live with someone outside of the school. That way I could meet more people. But oh man, seriously. There was not a mosca in sight, her TV is huge, her kitchen is spotless with a stainless steel refrigerator, my room would have been gorgeous, aaaand I could go on but I won't. I truly am happy with Dulce and actually love having a very-less-than-perfect home. Manuela's daughter then came home with her 3 year old son. Oh my god he was precious. He went through his notebook from school and showed me all of his work. He knows all of his colors in Spanish and English, numbers, and vowels. It was incredible. He talked and talked and talked and I asked if he could teach me Spanish and he said yes! Lol he also gave me the biggest mango I've ever seen from his mom :). Manuela is amazing. And though I was uncomfortable at first, it was so worth it. I explained my frustrations with not knowing Spanish enough yet and she said that it's okay, everything's a process. It'll come (that phrase seems to be a theme). Again, she made me talk, asked me lots of questions, and translated her grandson for me lol. I need to visit her a lot. I understood probably 75% so she's not the pastor but she's way easier to follow than my Doña :P
Finally I headed out and met up with Mayelin in the street. We went by her house and I chatted with her mom for a second. Kendris went on and on about stuff down by the water and I conversed with him a bit too. We left shortly after though since I figured I had dinner waiting. And I did. Huevos fritos with cebolla with yuca and plátanos. Love. 
Now I shall shower and head to bed. Today was a great day :) And tomorrow I'm heading for the field trip! Lula called though and warned me that rain and wind is supposed to be really bad the next three days. Good thing she called cuz I don't have internet to get those messages. I wonder how they warn volunteers who don't ever have internet or maybe even no computer? Lol Three more weeks. I can do this (funny part about this is, ya'll will be reading this when I finally have Internet :P).  Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment