Sunday, May 12, 2013

Jaguar, I Know How You Feel

May 8, 2013. Excursión! Today, I met Nati down at the school. There were three guaguas and tons of kids waiting. It took us 2 hours before we could leave and I have no idea why. And I was the awkward, new, shy, American, who didn't talk to anyone. So much if me was screaming to walk around, meet some kids, introduce myself... But I couldn't work up the courage. And that was basically the whole day. We went to the zoo (I definitely understand the jaguar and how it must feel, being fenced in one area and having people walk by and stare, talking about you but not directly to you), colonial zone in the capital, and a park on the water. It was an incredible experience for the kids because most of them have never traveled outside of this community. But man... it was a rough first day being in a new place with so many new people. I interacted a little but was so overwhelmed, understanding people became more and more infrequent. I kept looking forward to getting on the bus so I could sit in silence with a few teachers who didn't talk to me... At the colonial zone, however, I did bust out my camera and the kids went nuts (Dominicans LOVE getting their picture taken). This was cool but it's hard to keep taking picture after picture after picture (and they all want one "sola"/alone) so eventually I said I didn't have space left on my card. Which left me to be ignored again.
Finally, we were on our way home, a girl threw up for the third time behind me, a young teacher laid down in my lap, and the rains came so hard, we could barely see in front of us and the roads started to flood with brown water. I went home, ate dinner, talked to Mayelin who made me feel better, and then cried with Nate who made me feel a million times better. I understand culture shock now and hadn't felt it before today. I just have to say a prayer and hope for a better day tomorrow. Buenas noches.











No comments:

Post a Comment