Monday, May 6, 2013

Mala Nota Para Mi

May 1, 2013. Two more days aquí. Completely crazy. And 15 more days until I'm on my own. So insane. I headed to the Multi Uso (after having this delicious bread (? Not the consistency of bread but looked like it!) made out of corn, sugar, milk, vanilla, etc) to work on stuff for our fair tomorrow. I made posters, tickets, streamers (out of tissue paper which is way cheaper than buying actual streamers and, I think, prettier!). Samuel and I are going to man the table that the kids start at to get their tickets and finish at to exchange their filled out tickets for prizes. Pumped.
During that time, Raini and I were chatting and she gave me a bit more information about my placement without me even asking for it. Lol She said I'm going to be close to a married couple (I know which but I'm not going to post it here) and I love them! I hope they feel the same way about me though! Haha AND I'll be 40 minutes from the capital. 40 minutes. Amber said she didn't know exactly where I'll be but knows who I'll be working with which is why she said she was excited for me. WTF did I do to get so incredibly lucky here? But I also feel like I'm cheating somehow. And cheating bad... It doesn't seem fair. I have such mixed feelings it's crazy. But alas! Until Monday, I really know nothing.
Lunch and then Spanish were David invited some young girls to come over and just have a casual conversation. It was perfect and just what I said I needed. Go David! We also cooked with his Doña and I forgot the name of it (it's in my notebook which is outside of my mosquitera, sorry). But! She grated yuca and then squeezed the water out of it. Then in a big bowl, we cracked eggs and added salt and mixed. She let us crack the eggs and I dropped an entire half of the shell into the bowl. She laughed at me and said, "Mala nota, Julie" (bad grade). Haha then later when she cracked another egg, she dropped a piece too. And from across the room I said softly "Mala nota, Doña." For whatever reason she thought that was so funny lol. And said that she wants us three girls to come back and visit her sometime. And hey, if I am in fact that close to Santo Domingo, I'm not that far from here either! Which means I could come see my Doña and her, easy! Ugh. Anyways, after, we fried them in oil and enjoyed. They were so good.
Once class ended, I went home, changed, and went back out to exercise a bit and play soccer. Have I mentioned yet that I suck at soccer? Haha cuz it's true :) I stopped pretty early and Andy goes, "Why are you leaving?" I said, "Because I'm...how do you say when you're not good at something?" He laughed and said, "You can be a good, regular, or bad player, and you are a bad player, but whatever, come play!" Haha to which of course I laughed and said no way and headed home. He's such an ass :P
I had Dominican pasta for dinner, I showered, Nate called (!), took a picture of a gecko thingy for Jake (Mira munchkin! My Doña calls it a 'rana' but that's actually the word for frog so I don't know what that guy is yet in Spanish), and it's time for sleeps. Buenas noches.


No comments:

Post a Comment