Thursday, May 30, 2013

Stick To The List

May 21, 2013. We're gonna stay positive after today and just make a list of the good things that happened so as not to dwell.
1. Ann (my placement director) had a meeting with me, Juana Iris, and Nati. We also got a chance to talk just us and she validated my concerns about the job I have ahead of myself. It didn't make it any easier but I felt better knowing I'm not wrong.
2. She also said it would be a great idea to just do something small in the summer with those kids that need a little extra help so that was a weight lifted too.
3. My parents answered the phone when I needed them and sent me lovin'.
4. I woke up from my mini nap to cerezas on my table in my room from Mayelin.
5. I ventured back out to the second tanda despite really really not wanting to.
6. I observed Nati teach since the teacher was running late and she was better than anyone I've seen thus far here (better, but I still don't understand the teaching methods here...).
7. The director of the other school was finally there so I headed over (alone! I felt brave.) and got to observe a little. Manuela is great with her kids though again, there is still a lack of understanding.
8. The director (Elba) then took me on a "paseo" around the community on that side and I got to meet a ton of people. She really pushed that I'm working in the schools but also with anything and everything in the community... Oh boy. She also thinks I understand nothing in Spanish and reminded me of that multiple times ("Tú no sabes nada en Español. No entiendes nada." You don't know anything in Spanish. You understand nothing). I tried to explain that I understand more than I'm able to talk but I do understand quite a bit. It didn't really work and she tried to throw in English here and there. She was wrong most of the time and always when I already knew what she was saying in Spanish. But shit, I said I'd stay positive. Moving on! Stick to the list.
9. We returned to the school and sat outside and ate mangoes. She gave me days to come observe and Friday I'm going on another excursion with this school (the same one!-zoo and colonial zone). I'm putting this here because I'm choosing to believe that it's a second chance. I messed up majorly the first time. Not this time.
10. Next week she wants to bring me to her house in Villa (like Nati did) and to church. Church is late though so I'm going to be spending the night there. *crosses fingers for a positive trip since I'm just not sure how I feel about her yet*
11. I set up a time to visit Manuela at her house tomorrow just to pass time. I'm really excited about this because she's wonderful and patient with me and my Spanish (unlike the director).
12. I played cards with a few kids on my porch and set up a time Saturday to teach some of the 8th graders English. Hell, why not.
13. Learned a new card game.
14. Got to talk to Jen.
15. Going to bed early.

Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment