Thursday, May 30, 2013

El Padre, El Hijo, y El Espíritu Santo

May 26, 2013. I awoke at 6:11am today and was ready for church by 7. Of course, we didn't leave until 9 lol. Lizbeth and David received their confession so I've now seen a baptism ceremony and confession :) I actually love how similar it all was (just...in Spanish-El Padre, El Hijo, y El Espíritu Santo). But seriously, I could hear much (certainly not all) of the English prayers in my head as they were spoken in Spanish. It was a wonderful experience and I felt chills the whole time. But I was also fighting back tears much of the time. I prayed for Roy, his family, and mine (Grandma Irene-you especially)...
We ran a few errands in town (next town over "La Puerta"-I definitely don't miss that hissing) and then fit 9 people in a carro público for the ride back lol. After changing, we headed up to my host mom's mom's house and I hung out with the family and met lots more that live in Santiago. They all noticed my feet and asked if the mosquitos were bad. I said, "Oh, espérete" (Just wait) and lifted my pant legs (see below). I was the talk of everyone around the house for twenty minutes lol. I told them I have repellent but it doesn't work, and I use my mosquitera. My plan is to go into the doctor's office when I go to the capital and tell them to save their money for my repellent and buy me pants instead. We'll see how that goes :). If I have to wear pants everyday, I will now. Cuz the severity of the itchiness is nothing like I've ever felt before. And gets pretty painful too.
Sancocho was on the menu for lunch and it is definitely my favorite food here. They made a massive pot of it and fed probably 25 people. Incredible. There was luz all day (:D) so I watched the kids play video games on a computer and then we watched Death Race (although a different one than I had seen). Finally at 5pm, I headed out. My host mom hadn't been around for a few hours and I was so tired. Not sure from what since I really didn't talk much today but yea. I felt super left out the entire time there and just hoped Lizbeth would invite me to things with her as she came and went but she didn't. I could have asked but I just didn't have the bravery in me today.
Back at my house, I sat on the porch a little with my host dad, hung out with their grandson, learned from Lula that we have to get a Dominican green card (?apparently it's in an email lol I should probably call someone tomorrow and figure that one out; sounds important), and kinda snuck off to my room. 
Today was just kind of a haze; I'm sorry for the lameness of the post and my negativity. My family is going to call tonight though, which is good. I think I just need to talk and not having someone here to do that with is hard. I just think if I tried to explain what happened to a Dominican, and how much Roy meant to me, they would understand even less why I am here, away from my family. And I wouldn't be able to argue with them today.



No comments:

Post a Comment