Thursday, May 30, 2013

Having The Stars Within Reach

May 27, 2013. Before I begin, I just want to say how incredible the zinc roof is when the lightning outside is constant and brighter than ever. There are lots of holes above me so when the lightning strikes, the roof looks like a clear night sky with the stars shining. Love.
Today was a better day. Although I never explained what happened last Wednesday (the blog with just a list), I'll say that something similar happened today but it went better than before.  In the morning, at around 11am, the teacher wrote "Draw the different modes of communication" on the board and also the math problems for homework. She then picked up her bag, waved goodbye to me and walked out; an hour early. When the kids finished what was on the board, they could leave. I only broke up one serious fight, I walked around and helped a few, tried to use positive feedback to see their reaction (since I have yet to witness any teacher here using it-the kids loved it...), and was able to communicate most of what I wanted. Then in the afternoon, the teachers were supposed to end class early (4:30) and have a budget meeting. Instead, they had it at 3pm and again, the teacher wrote questions on the board and left me with 20 kids in a cramped classroom for 45 minutes. This one wasn't as smooth but still much better than last week. I asked them questions, gave them directions when they weren't listening, understood much more of what they were saying (some kids are sooo hard to understand), gave them a book to read when they finished, and checked their work. One student wouldn't listen to me para nada but I was at the end of my "I care" rope (I have an end! Lol) so I let him go. I just know when I do things, it will be different. But that wasn't my class and I can only do so much still... Hope that's okay to say.
Anyways, after they ended classes early (como siempre), I had quite the conversation with the teachers in the office. Let's just say I learned some slang terms for certain parts of the body and a certain action between men and women lol. They got a kick out of teaching me those things and at some of the things I joked about back :). I totally enjoyed that. 
On the walk home, one lady (who is a substitute) walked with me and asked me for help... She needs a job because she has 5 kids and her husband isn't working. She makes RD$1,000 every 15 days, which if you can't guess, is absolutely nothing. She wants me to talk to my "Jefa" and see if there's anything she can do for her, even if it's in the capital... This was hard. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to handle that cuz Lordy I want to help her, but I don't know if I can. I think I'll make a call or talk to someone when I go to the capital next just to see... I told her I'll see what I can do and hugged her goodbye.
At home I played cards and Dominoes with some kiddos. Then Mayelin and Lizbeth had a dance-off on the patio :). I talked about music with a family member of Dulce, and played more cards with another family member. I talked quite a bit more (overall today), I think, which felt great and provided as a distraction from my wondering heart. 
The rains came heavy so the little ones left. My host mom set up her new fridge-Oh! Did I mention that she's putting her old, little fridge in my room?? So I "can have cold water when there's luz!!" God she's wonderful :D And I can use the top of it as another table since even the three I have doesn't seem like enough lol I'm so pumped :). I did some (not many, but some!) exercises in my room, showered, and then ate my weight back in víveres for dinner at 8pm. My man called and made me laugh a ton which helped so much too. Missing him hard but feeling super strong about us. 
Today at the school was better than most days. I understood more, talked a little more (with teachers, students, and Dulce who also gave me a little bit of this delicious sweet drink that had rum in it :D oops?), managed better, and was able to bring my personality out a little more. The possibility of improvement and being successful didn't seem so far away today; just like how the lightning streaked above me the holes of my zinc roof, it was as if I had the stars within reach.  And now hopefully I can sleep tonight with the rain gently patting on the roof. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment