Thursday, May 30, 2013

Had My Personality Back for a Day :)

May 24, 2013. Woo! I did it! No, it wasn't 100X better than the first trip but it was significantly better :D. I left at 7:45, met up with Manuela at her house, we drank coffee together, she gave me food for the afternoon (I had snuck two pieces if bread from Dulce and made a peanut butter sandwich but yuca, papas, cebolla y salami sounded so much better :P), and we headed over the the other side together. We waited for the director and the bus for about an hour but I had decent conversation with her and this super super skinny old woman that works at the school and lives on that side. The poverty on that side is... Yea. I thought my side was bad but when the director took me around... Ay Dios mio. It's bigger on that side and there's more things (colmados, a church, a "hospital," etc) but some of the houses are in incredibly bad shape. 
Woa, tangent. Anyways. We boarded the guagua (one this time, not three!) and headed out. The kids were just as loud as last time but I loved it. They sang, chanted, danced, and yelled the entire time lol. We got to the zoo and the chofer said that he had another trip to take and had to leave for Villa again to pick up students and bring them to the capital. And that he wouldn't return until 4... He completely robbed them. They paid for his service for the entire day and they were supposed to go to the zoo and the museum and the colonial zone... But because he didn't come back until 4, we had to head home.  And por eso, there was a lot of sitting around at the zoo and waiting while the kids blew off so much energy on the playground (but not all!). 
I was with the director and teachers mostly and two guys my age. I talked a little, not a ton, but it was nice. I shared with the guys why I was there, what I studied in the states, what The Peace Corps is, my family, etc. And the director FINALLY realized that I know more Spanish than she thought. At around 2:30, I was sitting with the guys and she was with the other teachers (Manuela was one of them). They must have been talking because the director gets up, walks over to me, and says, "You DO know Spanish? But I thought you knew nothing! And you didn't tell me!" I wanted to punch her lol. I said that I had tried to tell her I knew more than she thought but not a ton. But again, she ignored me and couldn't believe I didn't tell her. The guys and Manuela defended me :). The director also kept bragging about how she knows how to speak English but her English is pretty bad lol. She kept saying treinta was 50. It's 30 :P. Tuesday is gonna suck. Hahaha. 
But continuing on, we literally sat around for hours. There was no keeping track of the kids, and a few times, some were missing so we would just sit and wait for them to show up lol. It's amazing. In the states, we would have all gotten sued haha. Eventually the guagua came and we left. The kids kept chanting stuff that I didn't understand but the director kept telling them to stop, that it was rude, and then behind the chofer's back she egged the kids on to continue haha. She came back to me and called him a "ladrone" (thief) and explained to me again what he had done. I felt bad for the kids since they expected one thing (which was a HUGE awesome experience for them) and only got part of it. But they had a ton of fun anyways. 
Ugh, also. Can I just randomly say that I have now seen the most precious little boy in the entire world? He is probably 3, wouldn't talk to me, but has the biggest and darkest black eyes I have ever seen. Oh god I melted when I saw him. He also has a huge scar from the corner of his left eye down his cheek a bit, almost like a big tear drop... But seriously. He stole my heart and has no idea :)
We got back, Manuela and I walked home together, Dulce made me coffee when I returned, I understood her a little today (!! That's huge!), and I got Mangu for dinner! Mmmm. So bad for you but so good :D (lots of butter). A bunch of kids came over and we played cards. I talked more, joked around a lot, and laughed a ton at the voices they were making. It was so wonderful to almost have my personality for a day lol. 
Y ¿ahora? It's the weekend! And I'm gonna learn how to cook with Dulce! I had told Lizbeth that I wanted to learn and she told Dulce. Yessss. Oh and Sunday is Mother's Day here and we're going to church I guess? Not sure where though. Guess I'll find out! Buenas noches. 
Addition: Saw my first rat up in the beams on the ceiling tonight hahaha. Not thrilled but I think I'd rather have them than the huge tarantulas that exist here :P Seriously, I've seen dead ones for sale in display cases and hear stories from volunteers. I really don't want those things (but luckily no one in this community has talked about them thus far, so maybe we don't have them!). Just rats I guess! 

No comments:

Post a Comment