Thursday, May 2, 2013

All We Need Is Salud

April 26, 2013. I had such a wonderful morning with my Doña. I apologized because I forgot to tell her I didn't have to leave until later today. She said it was fine and guessed that was so since I was working so hard. We talked about how tiring it is to work out in the sun all day painting. We then heard someone sneeze like 6 times outside and we laughed together as I said, "Salud" six times quietly. She then went off about how that's all we need in this life: health. If we don't have health, what more can we do? We can't cook, serve others, raise a family, etc. She went on and I said "well yes, health, but God too, no?" I wanted her to keep talking :). And she did. On and on about how we take nothing from this earth when we leave. Not even the clothes on our backs. And so many people chase after money here and for what? They don't bring it with them when they die. She told me about a man here who was very very rich but dying. And on his death bed he said to his daughter that it was time. She ran to get him things, but he stopped her and said no, that he needed nothing more for where he was headed. We then talked about where I will be going when I leave and how I didn't know yet. She talked about the possible places and the simple things I will need to buy. Another volunteer she had just had a simple plastic table and two chairs. I joked about how we don't have money as volunteers but also said that we don't need it. She got up, walked over to her box of clothes and pulled out a mattress cover blanket thingy (with the elastic corners?). She made me hold the end and said, "You probably won't buy a bed much bigger than this, right?" And totally oblivious to her purpose, agreed. She then told me it would be her gift to me after she washes it. Then all I'll have to buy is one sheet and a pillow and I won't have to worry about finding one of those since they're harder to find. I swear to you... I could have cried. Such a simple thing but my goodness... She is simply a saint and the big guy totally looked out for me when I got placed here for these short 5 weeks.
Today we headed to the school and got quite a bit done. Almost all of the alphabet is finished; I just need to touch up edges with the smaller brush tomorrow. The globe is done. And now we have two more projects haha and that was us drawing a line with the director. He wanted much more done. But! We have a tree with the "Valores" and the DR flag. It's looking incredible. Hopefully we can get it all done mañana. And mira at the last picture: P for Pangborn! ;) Dork, I know.
Our professors, Raini, Amber, and Jennifer stopped by too. And Jennifer had letters! I received 7 in total! Haha Win! I so wish I could write back to all but:
Aunt Siobhan? Wow. Thank you so much for writing me! And I'm glad you think my Spanish is good. I have my days where I am super frustrated that I'm not fluent yet and I have to remind myself that it's only been two months. and I've still got 2 years haha. I think you're in Florida now so how's the heat?! I'd trade it for the snow any day still. Although I'm loving the constant tan. ;). Give your girls my love, please? And Uncle Chris, of course. Love you.
Grandma Judy? I didn't get it on Easter but it means the world to me that you thought of me :) I'm glad Sister Act was good! That's a phenomenal show. And as for the Sabres, I know exactly what you mean. lol But I'm glad they won! I love you.
Grandma Irene? Do you ever slow down mi querida abuelita? You're insane but glad to know you're doing well. Tell Mom I agree with the decision to just keep playing Bingo lol. And no, I haven't gone to mass yet. My host family in Pantoja never went because it was too far to walk (which was maybe a ten minute walk?), this host mom is Evangelical, and I'm going to have to be careful in my site what I do in regards to religion. I can explain more on that sometime on the phone. But I thank Him everyday and say my rosary when I can. And hey, in one week I'll know where I'll be living for the next 2 years! AHHH! Haha love you Gram. And that joke? Hysterical! Had to muffle my laugh though so that my host mother wouldn't ask me what I was laughing about. I'm nowhere near that fluent!
Matthew? So that job thing? That was nearly a month ago so do you have new news? ¡Dime! Lol It means more than you know that you wrote to me. Just wish it didn't take so long. And definitely call the family; they can't have two voids with us gone and unfortunately for you, I can't change my situation haha Love you big brother.
Dad? Ugh your words are always just what I need. Even a month later than you wrote them haha. Thank you for always lifting me up and reminding me that I'm doing the right thing. I also love the updates on the family so keep those up! But you know, I'd love to hear more about how you're doing, pops. I love you!
Amanda? Ah! I miss you girl! And that Up reference? The tears totally almost came haha. And oh man, I would have loved another double date. I agree, it was perfect! Rain check in two years? I can't express enough my gratitude for you and Steve being there for my man. I worry but only a little because I know that he has you both and others for support. It makes such a difference. And actually, I did want to hear that so thank you. Though the letter took forever, it was perfect. I love you.
Nate? You wrote that after one week of me being gone. Crazy to think how much of a change has already happened. You spoke of a job you hoped for, and now you have one. You said, "If you'll allow me" when speaking of the possibility of you visiting me but duh, I'd love that way too much to have to explain. You also hoped we speak live soon and bam! We have quite a bit ;). And finally, that was the best Haiku I've ever read. Thank you :) and I love you baby.
Thank you so incredibly much. I'm so excited to have things to read and hang in my home when I eventually live on my own. Your words, thoughts, and prayers mean more to me than you can imagine.
Lunch, Spanish, and then the Multi Uso. Holy stairs workout. And I totally have bruises along my spine from the damn floor there lol. Then we played soccer! Guess those 6-7 years of playing when I was a kid didn't do much haha. We then watched a kid get beat up by a group of boys... Not horribly but he did run off crying. Can't even begin to describe how angry I am at myself for not trying to do something. I left pretty quickly after that and Misael caught up and asked what was wrong. Trying to explain all that was difficult.
I got home and my Doña was at church so I ate, showered, and headed over to Caitlin and Keegan's to get movies on my external hard drive. If any awesome tech people out there know if it's possible to connect my external to my iPad, help? I don't know if the adapter exists but if it does, let me know! Haha Thanks. But anyways, I got to talk to Nate (!!), hung out, went home, helped my Doña look for her keys, saw Noemi who I guess is here for the weekend, and headed to bed. Buenas noches.










No comments:

Post a Comment