Thursday, May 16, 2013

Life Begins at the End of our Comfort Zone

May 16, 2013. A cheese sandwich and hand-written card from Paola and my host mother sent me off to the capital and served as my final goodbye to Pantoja. And I will admit, I did actually feel a bit sad.  No, they weren't my favorite host family to live with after experiencing two others. But they were my first. And as a first love always has a place in your heart even if you weren't meant for each other, Paola and Carmen will have their place too. They allowed me into their home with a gorgeous room and my own bathroom, always had a chair for me to sit in, had a glass of fresh juice on ice every time I walked through the door, and taught me card games I can take anywhere in the country. Paola was my saving grace those first few weeks when I was a newborn baby in a foreign country with her smile, patience, love of volleyball, and infectious laugh that echoed in the neighborhood. I just lost that drive to try with my host mom and found that I resorted to my room this last little bit with them. Maybe when I return in three months, however, and I'm more comfortable in my speech, things can be different. I left them a note in my room and promised to call when I arrive at my site tomorrow. 
The four of us called a taxi since our weight in luggage would have probably gotten a carro stuck on a speed bump. We drove out of Pantoja and a cloud cleared in my skies though another loomed in the distance. But with the comfort of training gone, comes the adventure of freedom and the ability to create change. A good friend once wrote me, "Life begins at the end of our comfort zone." (you know who you are). Here's to believing.
We made it to the PC Office, went to a Dinámica session, did a lot of Internet, got empanadas for lunch, set up online banking, and headed to our hotel. It has a clean room, air conditioning (I was the coldest I have ever been in these last few months and I loved it!), cable, wifi (got to see my mom, dad, and munchkin!), crazy awesome running water with pressure (but no hot water which I actually wanted once I got in), and a comfy bed. Ugh, so amazing. I feel super wealthy (though see below, we were super messy rich people). We went to go get food at some point but took it back cuz we didn't want to leave the room :). And tonight? Shipwrecked Prom!! I've got my bandana, eye patch, and belt for my pirate outfit. It's gonna be soooo good. Haha but since I'll be coming back very happy and late, I'll post this now.
Tomorrow, I'm off to my home for good. Again, I won't have Internet for about a month so this is my last post until then (I lied last time I said that). Love you all so much and miss each and every one of you (Yes, even you). Can't wait to porch sit and coffee drink with all the locals and hopefully get goin on this Spanish thing ;). But I will always have your love and memories with me in those moments.
¡Nos vemos en un mes!

No comments:

Post a Comment