Thursday, May 30, 2013

Embrace Them And Wait It Out

May 17, 2013. I've found that sometimes you just have to wait out the nerves. I don't know how to get rid of them yet. Words of encouragement from loved ones help, friends experiencing the same helps, and breathing deeply helps. But the flutters always seem to remain and the slight panic washes over anyways. But I think I've realized that they're okay and maybe even good. I need to accept them. It means that whatever I am nervous about, my whole heart is in it and I care a lot about it.  Maybe they're even preparing me to not just succeed, but excel. My senses are heightened and I'm ready to try 101X harder.  And then when they finally subside, the feeling of accomplishment is even greater because I had to overcome the nerves that pricked my body and go out into my fear anyways. And possibly it's one less thing I will need to be nervous about next time.
I awoke this morning at 6:30am (after getting to bed at 3:30am after our party) and couldn't fall back asleep. My mind spun and spun with things coming up. Going back to my site. And for good. Meeting more people. Only having Spanish as a means of communication (verbal). The community diagnostic. Missing my family. The reality of two years. Etc. I felt more than just the hangover (oops, I said it) and the nerves settled back into their home in my stomach and head. We slowly arose around 8:30 and played Internet for a while. Eventually we got breakfast right in the hotel and it was delicious (and cheap!). I tried to distract myself, talk, eat, laugh but I had a constant reminder. We finished packing and took a taxi to the bus stop. In the taxi, Susan and I barely spoke. She felt it too but there weren't words to help. It just was what it was. We made it and I found out that there was no bus there that went to Villa Altagracia. I was pretty sure I could wait for a bus on the street so we parted ways and I waited. After a bit, I finally asked a security guy. There was no bus there for me. He got me a taxi to take me to the right bus stop but that cost me RD$250. That's more than double what the entire trip should cost me and I hadn't even taken the bus yet. Then that bus was going to the actual pueblo Villa Altagracia (I paid RD$140 and I found out from Lula it should have only cost me $70. Asshole.) and I needed to go about 10km further. So I would have to take a carro the rest of the way; paying more and I had no idea how to find one.  I was pissed. But Susan and her infinite wisdom said, "You live and learn. Next time will be easier and think positive: you're on your way! Every adventure has some bumps but that's what makes it an adventure!"  She was absolutely right. I know now (at least, I think I do) what I need to do next time and I won't have to pay as much. I also managed to speak in Spanish and ask the security guy for help, converse with the taxi guy and a lady on the bus, explain to a cobrador my dilemma with needing to go to Km59 and not the pueblo, ask where I can find a carro, ask the carro if he goes to my campo, and go (with my hiking pack, a bookbag full of children's books, and another bag). Some parts with the whole Spanish thing were messy but I did it. Holy shit. 
I got to my site and two women got out with me. They apparently live in my campo and the one is the niece of my host mom. Oops, didn't recognize her lol. On the way, my host mom ran over and took my bookbag of books. I tried to argue, explaining that it was super heavy and that I could carry it. She proceeded to tell me that she's carried much more than that before and that she was fine :). She's just so damn tiny, the bag was at least three times her width.  Anyways, we got to the house and I started to unpack (with all my new things I bought which made me super happy! i.e hangers, a soap dish, toothbrush holder, writing utensil holder, peanut butter, y más. It's the little things, right??). Then she brought me milk and added a little coffee which was strangely good. As I busted out all my books she goes, "Oh! I have a table you could use! It's super ugly but we could cover it and you could put your books on it which would be better than the floor." She grabbed it and it's perfect. She went on and on about how ugly it was but I seriously couldn't have been happier with it (see below). 
This was when I thought all those things I put above. Suddenly I realized that I wasn't nervous anymore and in fact, I felt very calm.  I couldn't pin point a moment when the nerves went away. And it wasn't like I completed all that I was worried/nervous about. All morning I had stressed, felt cloudy, and struggled to eat my delicious breakfast because of the butterflies. But, they got me through a crazy, expensive trip, lots of Spanish, and the reunion with my home. And then they went away and I was at peace. Sometimes, you just have to embrace the panic and wait it out. It's all good.
Mayelin came over and helped me with my room again. Then Juana Iris and Linda (that crazy lady I said I couldn't wait to get closer to) came over. They bought me Ritz crackers with cheese and a grape soda :D. We sat outside and chatted about my trip, my family back home, my boyfriend ("Is he begging you to come home yet??"), their week, and the Avon catalog that I think my host mom has to sell product. They also asked if I was going to have classes over the summer. I said I wasn't sure yet but I thought about doing a few things with those students that need a little extra help in literacy; but I needed to talk to the teachers still. I'd like to do more but I'm not sure where I'll be at with my Spanish or what resources I'll have (location and materials). I didn't say this but I'd love to have a family reading event where parents and kids come and read together. There could be a mini talk in the beginning about how important it is to read with your children and maybe we could have a snack as incentive to come (Dominicans love that!). 
At one point I dropped my soda, waited for a bit, and opened it. I didn't wait long enough. It exploded all over me and a little on Juana Iris. Oh man that was a good laugh had by all :). Eventually they left, I finished my room, and Lizbeth came over. We played cards, a few people came over and said hello to me, the kids and I spread all my new books out and read for a while, I had tostones (with ketchup!) and salami for dinner, we drew more things for my room, I hung my cards around my one window (with my new clothespins), and yea.  There was no luz all day so Mayelin and I went outside for a bit where it was a little brighter. We talked about the weather, the capital, school and what she learned, New York, dancing, and her family. The crickets chirped, some dogs would fight every now and again, and the stars whispered a calming tune. I felt so great. And not one moment of silence felt awkward. 
My host mom returned from another random trip and she had that awesome corn bread (with sugar and coconut) from her mother. She gave us some with milk :). Finally I told Mayelin that I needed to shower (my new plastic, rectangular bin for my shower stuff was genius, btw) and go to bed early since I was super tired. Oh! And the luz came back! And my host mother showed me the new light system in the house. Before, there was just one light in the middle of the ceiling which served for my bedroom (where the switch was), the bathroom, living room, and dining room. They had a light in their bedroom. The bathroom was always dark so showers were interesting, and when I went to bed, the majority of the light would be out which I felt bad about the days I went to bed early. But now?? There's a light directly above my room, one in the bathroom, and one in the living/dining room. It's wonderful! And my Don is fixing my door so I can have a lock for it :D So if I tally it all up? I have my own light, a new table, and a lock in my door. I feel as though they might not mind as much that I'm here like I thought :)
But now that it's 10pm which is not early like I wanted, I'm headed to bed with a full heart, calm stomach, and somewhat rationale mindset (for now). Buenas noches. 


No comments:

Post a Comment