Thursday, May 30, 2013

It's All For Them

May 28, 2013. Class was pretty bad today. Lots of the teacher leaving and lots of me doing (almost) absolutely nothing about it (I can't seem to let the fights go without intervening...). But during recess I looked through a book with some kids and ended up having a bunch at my side. I also got a lot of hugs today which felt amazing.  In the midst of the overwhelming task ahead of me, I was reminded that it's all for them, the little ones. And I couldn't help but smile in my little chair surrounded by screaming and fighting children and no teacher in sight.
During lunch I packed and ate a bunch (definitely getting a gut already and super upset about it... Did some exercises in my room tonight).  As soon as I left for the other school, it started downpouring, and hard.  My legs were soaked from my thighs down with the umbrella only covering so much when I had to cross flooded streets and the thruway. I got there and the teachers yelled at me for not waiting for the rain to stop lol. Which today, would've meant that I should've never came because it didn't stop.  I had a funny feeling that the director wasn't going to be there on the walk over. I was right. She's apparently sick (but also mentioned that her son from the states was at her house so there wouldn't be a bed for me) so I didn't have to go spend the night in Villa. Part of me was sad since I was planning on seeing Lula and Greg but most of me was pumped :). I observed Manuela's class which was first grade. No, her management and teaching methods weren't the greatest but I will say that I loved the way in which she spoke to the children. She was fun, loving, mostly positive, and genuinely seemed to care about them. She said that one of her favorite things in the entire world is when a student comes back to her and says, "ProfĂ©, it's because of you that I learned how to read."  Loved that. But of course, because of he rain, classes started almost an hour late and ended an hour early. She and I talked a bit while we waited for it to die down a little. She still doesn't understand why I'm there... I wish the Peace Corps had done a better job at making sure they knew about my arrival and purpose. We talked about schools here and schools in the states. How parent involvement is nonexistent here and it's essential to kids' learning (I agree). Actually, one mother today came "looking for" her daughter. She had no idea her daughter was in school... And it's the end if the year. Manuela went nuts in her; asking how it's possible that this child's own mother doesn't know her daughter is in school at that time (the same time everyday). Incredible. I also tried to ask how/what the school does to try and bring about parent involvement. It didn't come out quite right but she did gives examples of what she does, so I was sorta successful :P. In the past, if there is a student who never brings back their homework or does work in school, she has made visits to their house to try and explain to the parents the importance of their help in the child's learning. One time, she was completely successful and the student improved tremendously. Most of the time, however, it does nothing... Oh, have I mentioned that getting the parents and community involved in the school more is part of my project? Oh boy.
Eventually we walked back together in the rain. And she asked my favorite question: "So what didn't you like about my class?" To which I, of course, said, "Nothing!"  Lol
When I got home, my host mom asked why I didn't go to Villa and then left for about an hour. That was when I did my exercises in my room and showered. Then Lili and Samuel came over and we played cards. 
Lili then saw my iPad and asked if I had pictures on it. I thought about it for a second because of how much the Peace Corps warns about busting out expensive electronics early in your site buuuuttt... I did it anyways. And it was so worth it.  I first showed them my family, then my boyfriend, and other random photos. Then I showed the ones from Photo Booth with the crazy funny effects and they absolutely died laughing. So I started taking photos of them with Stretch, Squeeze, and Twirl. Oh my god I haven't laughed that hard since I've been here. Then my host mom got involved, died laughing, sent me to the neighbors, they died laughing, more kids came over and it just was a blast. Then of course the games came out and the kiddos passed it around for the rest if the night playing Fruit Ninja and Temple Run 1 & 2.  Maybe it was wrong and maybe I shouldn't have opened that can of worms just yet but seriously, it was just so fun watching them enjoy it so much. I'll just have to be careful with how much I let them play it is all :). No worries. Oh random side note: I found out that there is Wifi at the colmado by the thruway. Good to know but I'm still not going to go there with my iPad cuz that would be super out in the open. And the guy that works there creeped me out the only time I've been there... So yea! 14 more days lol. 
I finally told them I needed to head to bed at 9:15 (the latest they've ever been at my house), got to talk to Jen, and now it's time for bed (except for whatever reason, it's late but I don't wanna go to sleep. Hm...). Another decent day filled with "I-just-don't-give-a-shits" and laughter. I'm good with it :). Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment