Thursday, May 30, 2013

I Simply Took a Walk

May 18, 2013. Today I woke up around 8. At 10 I got corn bread and hot chocolate and I spent the morning studying. My doña did my laundry even though I tried to say I needed to learn (to which she explained how in seconds with her quick, difficult-to-understand Spanish- I learned nothing). Mayelin came over and I interviewed her for my diagnostic (woo!) and we played cards. She's super sick and was coughing and sneezing everywhere so I'll probably be next haha. I was going to go for a walk around the neighborhood but my Doña went to her mother's house and I wasn't sure if I could leave. Lizbeth came over and we played cards (I taught her one of the games Paola taught me and she loved it!), watched TV, I interviewed her as well, and ate lunch.
After, I finally worked up the courage and simply took a walk (the guilt got to me and I knew I should be showing my face in the community before these next three months fly by and I visit no one. Haha so dramatic but that's all I kept thinking: "Don't ruin it from the start!"). I didn't know where I was going or why but I walked. I met a boy on the street who lost 5 pesos so I helped him look for a bit. The kids called me either Profé (love) or Julie. I said hello to everyone I saw. And then found myself walking to the end of one street where I knew the pastor lived. My plan was to simply turn around there and walk back, maybe seeing Juana Iris that time. But the pastor saw me out his door and told me to come inside.
I spent three hours with the pastor. We talked about everything. Police corruption. My passion of teaching. How to manage classrooms. How to plan lessons. Wages of teachers. Documentation in this country and this community. How he wants a center for adolescents and youth to hang out. Multiple intelligences. Different teaching styles. Lack of creativity in schools. First you have a relationship with God, then yourself, then others. His family. The Constitution of the RD. English and that he wants to learn. How the Duarte is dangerous and I must promise never to cross it alone. The people across the way that he is going to introduce me to so they can show me around that community :D. That parents are a child's first teacher and their responsibilities as such. Violence in the lives of our kids here and how they're becoming insensitive to it. The rights of humans. How he talks too much (to which I explained how good that is for me and my Spanish and for confianza). My education background. My family. My boyfriend. My plan for life (which he actually understood!! He said that I have an organized plan; this first, go back to school, get married and that's a good thing. Yessss). He was amazed at how much work teaching was (though I didn't even come close to explaining it all) and that I could have chosen any profession that would have paid way better. But I chose teaching and he truly appreciated that and understood that it was a decision of the heart, not the wallet. 
I could have talked to him for three more hours. We laughed (I said funny things in Spanish!), talked about serious matters (because time is too valuable to waste words), and just enjoyed each other's company. He repeated over and over again how glad he was that I am here. I'm so glad I simply took a walk. I took the first step unsure of a destination or specific purpose. But I found both, and now the next walk won't take so much courage (hopefully).
I just have to keep reminding myself that I do have time. I spent time with two children, my Doña, and the pastor (and passed by a few others). That's a good day! Part of me is telling me it's not enough but I truly know that's wrong. I just have to keep doing that each day and the comfort will come. The relationships will develop. My Spanish will improve (I find I yell at myself when I think I've been thinking too much in English). And the things I need/want to do with the community will fall into my lap. Sasha said this at training and she was right. Even today already, a lady in the community asked me if I would have English classes because she wants to learn. I soooo don't want to teach English but if it's wanted, I'll do it. But that's one example and I've been here for one day. It'll all work out with time. I just need more patience with myself. 
Oh! Random side note but we had luz all day! Super awesome :D And Orange works in my community so I'll be able to use the Fly Box from Amber for Wifi. Major win for me and I'm not ashamed to admit that. 
I had a cheese and jamón sandwich and lemon juice which made me super happy (despite drinking mini flies). And now I'm headed to bed. Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment