Thursday, May 16, 2013

So Help Me God!

May 15, 2013. Today was the last day at training. What an insane thought. And while I'm ready to go out and do the things they've taught us, I'm going to be real and admit that I'm scared to lose the structure. It's such a safety net here; they tell you where to go and when and are always there if you need something (and in English). I know we have support always when we're in our sites but it's not like they will be there everyday like they are now.
But alas, we had a session on medical reminders and then all about money since we got our debit cards. After that, we found out all of our scores throughout training and "if" we passed (no one failed and we knew that already lol). When my name was called, I walked over and before I sat down Jennifer said, "Congratulations, you made it to a 5." I immediately told her to shut up and started walking away haha. I came back and sat down and she went through my scores and sent me on my way. The tears welled up, of course, and I had to repeat to myself that I had made it to the level 5, which was required for swear-in. It may be out of a 10, but that's what I needed. And while I personally don't feel I'm at where I should be, I did it. And I can go into my site and become fluent on my own.
We hung out at the site for a while just talking and playing cards. No one said it, but I don't think we wanted to leave quite yet. We do have one more day together tomorrow but then that's it. It's on us to visit each other and keep in touch. Until our three month IST, of course. At noon I headed out, ate lunch with my Doña, and went in my room to rest. My dad called and I got to tell him my news. It was kind of awful not being able to tell my family right away so I was super happy and emotional (what else is new lately?) when he did. We talked for a while, I watched a bit of Bridesmaids to celebrate, and started getting ready. Tonight was Swear-In. And I have to say, I did my hair and make-up and for the first time since I've been here, I felt pretty. All ya'll are gonna shake your heads or think I'm being egotistical; but it just felt nice. 
Aaaanyways. We took tons of pictures (see below-fake cake, Lobo, Andy, some education girls, CBT Spanish class with David (pronounced Dah-veed), Pantoja Spanish class with Marcia (!!), my host mom and Paola, and the whole education group!). We had our ceremony all in Spanish except for our Peace Corps Oath; which I will end putting here at the end because it gave me chills reading it aloud and sounds super fancy and official. Dad, it made me think of you and your service in the military (thank you for that, always)  and how I always wanted to do that too...
But before I do that, I'll finish the night. We had refreshments and a slideshow of pictures from training. I ate two pieces of cake. We had a beer at a colmado to celebrate (but saving ourselves for the party tomorrow that's going to be a crazy, hot mess). I headed home and had my last dinner with Paola (for three months anyways) of eggs and plátanos. I talked to Jen, packed my bags (tomorrow's and Friday's travels are gonna suck alone) and now I should head out to say goodnight to the Dominoes crowd.
Pero primero:
I, Julie Pangborn, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps. So help me God!

Buenas noches and look out KM 59, a new volunteer is comin!!








No comments:

Post a Comment