Thursday, May 30, 2013

Gettin' That Confianza!

May 20, 2013. Dude, I busted out my sleeping bag to use as another blanket this morning cuz I was THAT cold! :D so awesome! And I had a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast this morning. So worth the pesos :) I went to the school to observe. And wanted to cry the entire time. Let's just say last week was the norm (I tried to stay positive and hope it would be better) and I broke up two fights. Recess was great cuz I played with the kids :). But yea. I literally just repeated in my head, "Little by little. You have two years. Concentrate on the kids first and literacy. The teachers can come later." Over and over again... I told the director I wanted to observe the other side this week so she said she would take me in the afternoon tanda. I also told her I wanted to get a list of the kids that needed extra help with literacy so I could put something together for the summer. She said I could use the school and that "Anything is possible with me."  Love, love, love her. 
I went home for lunch and was so exhausted. Mayelin came over though so we played cards until my lunch was ready. I ate, then went to rest. And of course passed out just as my alarm went off. I headed out and Nati walked me over the thruway. I asked her about her job, why it's temporary and what happened before her. Lots of drama. But! It's possible that she could stay! And she wants to! Crossing my fingers so hard right now. The woman that she's up against for the spot next year is a teacher right now.. Anyways, we went and the director wasn't there. So I couldn't observe for some reason. But we chatted with the one teacher that lives on our side but teaches there and she's wonderful. Said I could come over anytime. And they talked about wanting an English class too. Oh alright lol. We left, I saw another guy I met at the Play last week and I'm gonna return tomorrow. Nati said maybe the director can show me around the neighborhood as well which would be great since I feel like I know nothing about it.
I observed in another classroom on our side. The teacher up and left to do something with the director and just told the kids to take turns reading aloud and that I was in charge. It was a mess. But just as I started to organize something and the kids started listening... The clouds rolled in so they let out an hour and a half early. Some kids have to cross that river... I went home and sat on the porch and watched the storm (new favorite thing). A few girls came over and played my cards, drew, and read some of my books while I played with the little 2 year old. More and more kids came over and did the same. Four of us played cards until eventually it was me and three grown men playing Tres y Dos (that game that every Dominican in this country knows, I swear). We must have played 30 rounds easy. I had no idea men my age and older liked it so much haha. I didn't talk much and they talked a lot. And super fast, of course. But I laughed, stayed animated, and didn't feel too awkward which is nice. After giving the guy next to me the card he needed to win for the 100th time, I dramatically quit and had dinner by candlelight. Alone. Super romantic :). 
So today? I ventured to the other side. Got to know one woman a little more. Found out where someone I already knew lives. Almost had a teaching moment. Had a bunch of kids hanging out with me despite the rain. And hung out and played cards with more people around me here (gettin' that confianza!). Little by little. I'd say this is a Win Day #3 :). Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment