Thursday, May 30, 2013

Tomorrow-Make A Brave Move

May 22, 2013. Oh the rain. How I love thee en la mañana. How I adore thee en la tarde. And how I long for you en la noche. I woke up to rain and I'll be honest, 75% of me hoped it would continue pouring so maybe school would be cancelled and I could sleep in. But of course, just as my alarm went off, it stopped lol. Saltine crackers and nacho cheese that you microwave and dip tortilla chips in served as my breakfast and went surprisingly well with my hot chocolate :P
I ventured out in a skirt and sandals and observed Ramona's class. Today was better in that I was only left alone with the kids for 20 minutes while she was in the phone and only broke up two fights. The director got a list of the kids that need extra help with literacy. This was wonderful. Now I just need to figure out how to tell the kids when to come (since I don't know where they all live), how often I'm going to have the classes, and how I'm going to teach them. Luckily, classes don't end for another month so I sorta have time :) 
After lunch, I laid down for my daily nap. Aaaaand literally laughed maniacally in my head as I watched the mosquitos fly around and land on my mosquitera. Muahaha you can't bite me! Though I have 15 bites on my left leg (yup, Nati and I counted them together-bring it on Dengue!) from this morning :(. Guess I'm never wearing capris or skirts for the next 2 years. There goes my entire wardrobe. Haha I changed into jeans and voilá! Didn't get bitten. I headed back to the school and observed again. The kids were calm in that class but the lesson was sooooo boring. But we ended classes early again today (that may have actually been a plus) because of the rain. It stopped me from visiting Mauela, however, which I didn't like. I hope she understands. It was just so flooded in the streets (see below) but I'll try again tomorrow.
I had been studying in the doorway while watching the rain. A few people came to visit just as I sat down to eat dinner. They gathered in the living room and I escaped to my room once I was done. Guess nothing has changed... Oops. I know I need to venture out or else my Spanish won't ever improve. I suppose I just had yet another weak moment. I think my plan for times like this is to then try 100X harder the next day to make a brave move and overcome a fear. Make up for the lack the previous day. Vamos a ver. 
I read in my room for the rest of the night, ate two spoonfuls of peanut butter, and talked to Nate (which helped like always, love you babe). And with the crickets and my malaria pills, Buenas noches :) Also, side note: I love the love between my Don and Doña. It's the first genuinely loving Dominican relationship I've seen since being here :). Okay, night!

No comments:

Post a Comment