Monday, May 6, 2013

Never Goodbye, Only See You Soon

May 3 & 4, 2013. Today (the 3rd) was our final farewell to the Multi Us. We discussed CBT as a whole. received awards of completion, and emptied out the room with the view of the baseball field. It was ugly and barren as we walked out the doors for the last time. Barnel (Spanish teacher), Chris and I walked home together and Barnel bought us ice cream :). I had a chocolate covered ice cream bar and had the stick in my mouth after I finished it. I just wanted to make sure I got all the chocolate out, ya know?? Barnel looks at me and goes, "Now Julie, you know you can't eat the stick too, right?" Lol busted.
Next was The Last Lunch, Spanish class, and at 5, we had a Despedida (farewell) with all of us volunteers and our host families. We chatted, said little speeches (which I butchered cuz I wasn't prepared lol), watched a slideshow of everything we did at CBT, ate cake, and drank coke. It was tranquilo and lovely. I also wrote my mamma a card which had an apology on the back for all of my errors inside lol And I said I wished my Spanish had been better but if she'll have me, I'd love to come back and visit. And until then, I'm going to be practicing my Spanish every day :). She hugged me with tears in her eyes and said I could visit whenever I wanted and that this is my home too. Ugh.
Some of us volunteers then went dancing one last time! I still haven't mastered this damn bachata but I'm determined. I think it's so beautiful. On the way home, there was a live band playing music on a corner so we watched them for a while too. We got home around 1am and I was definitely confused when my alarm went off at 6am haha Damn chocolate milk.
I got up, showered, finished packing, ate my last cheese and jamón sandwich, and drank my coffee with sugar. Alfredo came by and carried my big suitcase of his head. I didn't stop apologizing for how heavy it was until we got to the bus haha. I definitely left with way more stuff than I arrived with. Especially in book and manual form from training. But we packed up the guagua, said our final "See You Laters," (it's never goodbye, only see you soon) and with water filled eyes, crammed into the seats. We almost didn't have enough room lol.
Driving out of Monte Plata was so strange. We did so much in such a short time. We met so many people. Completed projects. Painted walls. Learned nearly all of the damn tenses in Spanish. Taught some kids some stuff. Ran, played volleyball and soccer, got a six-pack (almost? :P), and played tag in the rain. Ate endless amounts of yuca. (And so much more). And yet as the guagua bounced down the road and quickly left the pueblo in it's dust, it felt like we had just gotten there. And as soon as the city streets were in sight? Nearly all of us started booing and telling the driver to turn around hahaha. At least I'm not alone. And now imagining having to say goodbye to your community of two years when we feel this way after only 5 weeks? Aye Dios Mio.
We unpacked the guagua, organized our things, and headed back to our original homes. I think my hands almost fell off by the time I got there haha. Paola and Doña Carmen were there and hugged me hello. I unpacked a few things and then said I was going to rest for a bit. Which turned into me passing out for almost 3 hours. Oops? :). I emerged and my host mom complained that my lunch was now cold. I told her it was my fault, I only meant to rest but fell asleep instead and she laughed at me while she made fresh juice in the kitchen made of Mango, milk, and sugar. I certainly missed those. I ate, studied a bit, played cards with Paola and showed her pictures from Monte Plata. I definitely understand her more and I think I am talking more. Though maybe not grammatically perfect, I definitely felt there was more of a variety in my speech and I took more risks (Instead of just not talking when I doubted myself). But it's early yet, we'll see. It's interesting to be able to live with one host family first, go away for a month, and come back and compare what your Spanish is like. If I had been here the entire time, it would have been more difficult to notice, I think.
But despite not being excited to come back, I do have a simple list of things I'm happy to have here (to keep me positive for at least another week, anyways):

1. Paola
2. A shower with running water!
3. My own bathroom
4. A fan
5. Fresh juices everyday
6. Water whenever I need it (have never been so thirsty in my life as I was in Monte Plata)
7. Less cockroaches (if any?)
8. The CED volunteer group
9. Plugs in my room to charge my phone and iPad lol

Yea that's good for now. And after watching them play Dominoes for over an hour, it's time for bed. Mañana? La playa :D Buenas noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment